Prep Time: 5 mins | Cook time: 20 mins | Serves: 4
- 2 Bitter Gourds
- 1 Large Onion, sliced
- 3 tbsp jaggery, powdered
- 1 Green Chilli
- 2 tsp Rice Flour
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- A pinch of Fenugreek Seeds
- Marble sized Tamarind ball
- 1 sprig Curry Leaves
- Red Chilli Powder as needed
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Oil
- A pinch of Hing
- Soak the tamarind in water for sometime. Extract the juice set aside.
- Wash, peel and slice the bitter gourd and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds and fenugreek seeds. Let them splutter.
- Then add the curry leaves and hing and stir for a few seconds.
- Add the sliced onion and fry for a minute.
- Add the bitter gourd slices, turmeric and water. Cover with a lid and cook until the pieces are tender.
- Now add the tamarind extract, salt, jaggery, red chilli powder and water.
- Dilute the rice flour in little water and add it to the bitter gourd mixture.
- Let it boil for 8 - 10 minutes or until the pulusu thickens.
- Turn off the flame. Serve hot with rice.
You might also love to check these recipes: