Pasi Paruppu Sundal or Moong Dal Sundal Recipe – Quick, easy and healthy South Indian snack with lentils, spices and coconut. Perfect for festivals such as Navratri or Ganesh Chaturthi. Can be served as a snack as well.
What is Sundal?
Sundal is a South Indian dry savory dish made with lentils or pulses and seasoned with mustard seeds, dried red chillies, hing, curry leaves and coconut. It is a healthy snack and can be made during festivals as well.
What is Moong Dal Sundal?
Moong dal sundal is one of the easy and quick variations of sundal recipes that can be prepared in 15-20 minutes. There is no need to soak the lentils and you can quickly cook them in a pot. This is the best sundal recipe if you need a last-minute snack or naivedyam dish.
Few More Sundal Variations:
If you are looking for more South Indian festival recipes, check the below recipes.
Few More Festival Recipes:
- Godhuma Kudumulu
- Aval Payasam
- Godhuma Rava Kesari
- Kele Mulik
- Thengai Poli
- Nimmakaya Kobbari Pulihora
How to Make Pasi Paruppu Sundal Recipe Video below:
Pasi Paruppu Sundal Recipe - Moong Dal Sundal
- 1/2 cup Moong Dal
- 3-4 tbsp Grated Fresh Coconut
- 1/2 tsp Urad Dal
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 2 units Dried Red Chillies
- 1 Sprig Curry Leaves
- 1 tbsp Oil
- A pinch of Turmeric Powder
- Salt to taste
- A pinch of Hing
- Dry roast the moong dal for 2-3 minutes or until light golden color and set aside.
- Boil 4 cups of water in a vessel. Add the roasted moong dal and mix.
- Add turmeric powder and salt and cook till the lentils are soft and cooked. Do not overcook. The moong dal shouldn't be mushy.
- Drain the lentils and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan for seasoning.
- Add mustard seeds and urad dal and let them splutter.
- Add broken red chillies, curry leaves and hing and saute for a couple of seconds.
- Then add the cooked moong dal and saute for a minute.
- Add coconut and combine well. Adjust salt if needed.
- Turn off the heat and serve hot!
Moong Dal Sundal Recipe with Step by Step Photos:
- Dry roast 1/2 cup of moong dal in a frying pan for about 2 minutes or until it gets light golden color.
- When the lentils are roasted, remove from the flame and set aside.
- Bring 4 cups of water to a rolling bowl.
- Add the roasted moong dal to the boiling water and give it a mix.
- Add a pinch of turmeric powder and required salt to it and mix well.
- Let it cook until the lentils are soft and cooked. DO NOT overcook the lentils. They should retain their shape.
- Once the lentils are cooked, drain them immedietely and set aside.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a pan for seasoning the lentils.
- Once the oil is heated, add mustard seeds and urad dal. Fry until they are golden browned.
- Add curry leaves, broken red chillies and hing and saute for a couple of seconds.
- Add the cooked moong dal to the seasoned ingredients and saute for a minute.
- Add grated fresh coconut and give it a mix. Adjust salt if needed.
- Remove from the flame and serve hot!