Ponnaganti Vepudu with Kura Podi – A simple, healthy and delicious Andhra style stir fry with water amaranth leaves and spices.
Ponnaganti Vepudu with Podi is a simple Andhra style stir-fry seasoned with freshly ground spice powder. This is one of the quick and easy ponnaganti recipes that can be done in 15-20 mins. It can be served great with rice or roti.
What is Ponnaganti Aaku?
Ponnaganti is called water amaranth leaves in english, gudari saag in hindi, Ponnanganni keerai in tamil and honagone soppu kannada. It is one of the nutritious greens and can be added to many dishes.
Can I use any other greens?
Yes, if don’t find water amaranth leaves you can replace it with any other greens such as spinach and amaranth leaves.
How long can I store the spice mix?
The spice powder can be made in bulk and stored for a month or two.
More Ponnanganni Keerai Recipes:
If you are looking for more curry recipes then do check the below recipes.
More Curry Recipes on the blog:
- Gutti Vankaya Kura Podi
- Vazhakkai Podimas
- Spicy Mushroom Pepper Fry
- Chakkakuru Mezhukkupuratti
- Gutti Vankaya Kobbari Karam
- Aloo Palak Gravy
How t0 Make Ponnaganti Aaku Koora Podi Recipe below:
Ponnaganti Vepudu with Koora Podi
- 4 cups Water Amaranth Leaves / Dwarf Copperleaf / Ponnagannai Keerai chopped
- 1 Onion sliced
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Urad Dal
- 1/2 tsp Chana Dal
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 to 1.5 tbsp Oil
- Salt to taste
For Curry Powder:
- 1 tsp Coriander Seeds
- 2 tsp Chana Dal
- 1 tsp Urad Dal
- 3 Dried Red Chillies or as needed
- 1 tbsp Dry Coconut
- 1/2 tsp Oil
- To make the curry powder, heat 1/2 tsp of oil in a pan and add coriander seeds, chana dal, urad dal and fry them on a medium flame till they are a golden brown color.
- Remove them from the pan and set aside to cool.
- In the same pan, add and fry the red chillies for a minute and set aside.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds, chana dal and urad dal and let them splutter.
- Add the sliced onion to it and fry until translucent.
- Then add the wet leaves, salt and turmeric powder. Saute for a minute and cover it with a lid.
- Let it cook completely.
- Meanwhile, grind the roasted ingredients, roasted chillies and dry coconut into a powder.
- Add this powder to the cooked curry and mix very well. Adjust the salt and turn off the flame.
- Serve hot with rice or roti.