Kadalai Paruppu Poornam Kozhukattai / Modakam Recipe
Hari Chandana PIndianDessert
Prep Time: 25 mins | Cook time: 15 mins | Makes: 15
- 3/4 cup Chana Dal
- 1 cup Jaggery
- 3 tbsp Grated Fresh Coconut
- 1/4 tsp Cardamom Powder
- 1.5 cups Rice Flour
- 1.5 cups water or as needed
- 1 tsp Ghee
- A pinch of Salt
- Wash and pressure cook the chana dal with just enough water to cover the dal. The dal should be just cooked and hold shape.
- Drain all the excess water completely. Make sure that there is no water and let it cool down.
- Grind the cooked dal into a powder and set aside.
- Combine the powdered jaggery and little water in a pan. Let the dissolves completely and bring it to a boil.
- Add the ground chana dal, coconut and cardamom powder to it.
- Mix very well and cook until the mixture thickens. When the mixture becomes like a dough, turn off the flame.
- Let it cool. Divide the mixture into round shape balls and set aside.
- Add salt, water and a teaspoon of ghee in a sauce pan. Bring the water to a rolling boil and turn off the flame.
- Take the rice flour in a mixing bowl. Add boiling water little by little to the flour and mix well with a spatula.
- Let it cool for 2 – 3 minutes. When it it still warm knead it well to make a soft dough. The dough should be soft and slightly sticky.
- Grease your hands with little oil / ghee and divide the dough into round shape balls. Flatten the dough ball and keep pressing with your finger to form a disc or cup. Place the chana dal stuffing in the center.
- Bring the edges together and seal it.
- Shape into a smooth ball. Repeat the same procedure until all the dough finishes. If you want to make modak shape kozhukattais, refer this Modak Recipe for learning how to shape the modak.
- Arrange them on your greased idli plates and steam cook for 10 – 12 minutes. Let them cool and serve.
You might also like to check these recipes: