Kalchina Aratikaya Koora – Unique and delicious Andhra Style Roasted Plantain Curry flavored with lemon, chillies and dry coconut. A great side dish for hot steamed rice.
Kalchina Aratikaya Kura is a unique and traditional way of making an Andhra style plantain curry by fire-roasting the plantains. There are many ways to cook delicious plantain dishes by steaming, cooking, sauteing and frying across India and roasting the plantains is a traditional Andhra style of cooking them. This curry tastes great when served with hot rice and ghee (if not vegan).
If you are looking for more recipes with aratikayalu or raw banana then check the below recipes
More Raw Banana Recipes on the blog:
- Aratikaya Vepudu
- Aratikaya Ulli Karam
- Vazhakka Thoran
- Aratikaya Palakura Kura
- Aratikaya Perugu Pachadi
- Vazhakkai Podimas
- Homemade Banana Chips
- Aratikaya Bajji
Kalchina Aratikaya Koora or Roasted Plantain Curry Recipe below:
Kalchina Aratikaya Koora - Roasted Plantain Curry Recipe
- 2 Medium Plantains
- 1 Large Onion
- 3 Green Chillies
- 1 Small Lemon
- 2-3 tbsp Grated Dry Coconut
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Sprig Curry Leaves
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Urad Dal
- 1/2 tsp Chana Dal
- Red Chilli Powder as needed
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp Oil
- Wash plantains and pat dry them with a kitchen napkin.
- Apply some oil to the plantains and place them on an open flame. Turn the plantain around while it is roasting.
- Roast them till they are completely black. The inside will be soft. Keep them aside to cool.
- Peel and discard the charred skin of the plantains and mash them with your fingers or masher.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds, chana dal and urad dal and let them splutter.
- Add the slit green chillies and curry leaves and fry for a few seconds.
- Then add the sliced onion and fry until onion turns a golden color.
- Now add the mashed plantains, salt and turmeric powder and combine very well.
- Reduce the flame to low. Cover and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the dry coconut and red chilli powder and mix well. Turn off the flame.
- Finally, add the lemon juice and mix everything.
- Serve with hot rice and ghee.