Onion Tomato Coriander Chutney is a soft, pulpy mixture of cooked tomatoes, onions and coriander leaves, again seasoned with mustard seeds. It has a slightly sweet, tangy and spicy taste that goes well with Indian breakfast dishes such as Semiya Dosa, Wheat Rava Pongal, Ragi Idli, Upma and Bread Medu Vada. This chutney will stay fresh for a couple of days if refrigerated.
Few More Chutney Recipes on the blog:
- Tomato Onion Chutney
- Tomato Coconut Chutney
- Hotel Style Coconut Chutney
- Carrot Peanut Chutney
- Palli Kothimeera Pachadi
- Peanut Tomato Chutney
How to Make Tomato Onion Coriander Chutney Recipe Video Below:
Onion Tomato Coriander Chutney Recipe
How to Make South Indian Tomato Onion Coriander Chutney Recipe with step by step photos and video. An easy, healthy and delicious chutney recipe for tiffins.
- 2 cups Chopped Onion
- 2 cups Chopped Tomatoes
- ½ - ¾ cup Coriander Leaves
- 3 - 4 Green Chillies
- 1 inch piece Tamarind
- 1 tsp Jaggery
- ¼ tsp Mustard Seeds
- ¼ tsp Urad Dal
- 1 - 2 Dried Red Chilli
- ⅛ tsp Hing
- 2 tbsp Oil
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
- Salt to taste
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a wok. add slit green chillies and saute for a couple of seconds. Then add chopped onion and saute until they are transparent and light brown color.
- Now add the finely chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder and tamarind to it and cook till tomatoes are mushy.
- Finally add the fresh coriander leaves and let it cook for a minute.
- Remove from the flame and allow it to cool.
- Add salt and powdered jaggery to the cooked ingredients and grind until smooth.
- Transfer the chutney to a bowl and set aside.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds and urad dal and let them splutter.
- Add the red chillies and hing and fry for a couple of seconds.
- Pour this over the chutney and mix well.
- Serve with idli, dosa or any snacks like rava vada, poha vada, bread besan toast and onion pakora.
Calories: 132kcalCarbohydrates: 16gProtein: 1gFat: 7gSodium: 288mgPotassium: 352mgFiber: 3gSugar: 8gVitamin A: 275IUVitamin C: 21.7mgCalcium: 56mgIron: 1.4mg
Nutrition values are estimates only.
Onion Tomato Coriander Chutney Recipe with Step by Step photos:
- Chop the tomatoes and onions into pieces and set aside. Slit the green chillies and keep them aside.
- Heat one tablespoon of oil in a pan and add the slit green chillies.
- Saute them for a couple of seconds.
- Add two cups of chopped onions to the same pan and fry until they are light brown and transparent.
- When onions are roasted, add the chopped tomatoes, tamarind and turmeric powder.
- Give it a stir to combine well.
- Cover the pan with a lid and let it cook until the tomatoes are soft and mushy.
- Open the lid and add chopped coriander leaves or cilantro to the cooked tomato-onion mixture.
- Mix and cook for a minute. No need to cook longer.
- Turn off the flame and let it cool completely.
- Transfer the cooled mixture to a jar or blender. Add salt and jaggery to it and blend until smooth. Use a little water while grinding if needed.
- Transfer the ground chutney to a bowl and set aside.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a small pan or tadka pan for seasoning.
- Add urad dal and mustard seeds and fry them until brown.
- Add dried red chillies and hing and saute for a couple of seconds.
- Pour this seasoning over the ground chutney and mix well.
- Serve with idli, dosa, vada, pongal or pakoras.