|Authentic Kerala Aviyal ~ Mixed Vegetables in Coconut and Yogurt Gravy|
Kerala Aviyal or Avial Recipe:
Preparation & Cooking Time : 20 - 25 mins
Serves: 4 persons
Mixed Vegetables : 2.5 - 3 cups (like carrots, beans, potatoes, drumsticks, snake gourd, plantain, yellow cucumber, bottle gourd)
Thick Yogurt : 1/2 cup
Turmeric Powder : 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Grind Together :
Fresh Coconut : 3/4 to 1 cup
Green Chillies : 4 to 6
Cumin Seeds : 1/2 tsp
Onion : 1 small or Shallots: 6
For Tempering :
Coconut Oil : 1 tbsp
Curry Leaves : 1 sprig
1. In a saucepan, add the chopped vegetables, turmeric powder and water and cook till almost done.
2. Grind the coconut, onion, cumin seeds and green chillies into a paste. Add this mixture to the cooked vegetables and mix well.
3. Then add some salt to it and let it cook for a few minutes.
4. Now add the beaten curd and switch off the flame. Combine well.
5. Heat a tablespoon of coconut oil for seasoning. Add the curry leaves and saute for a couple of seconds.
6.Add this seasoning to the avial and mix well.Serve with rice.