Preparation & Cooking Time : 20 - 25 minsServes : 4 - 5 persons
- Tomatoes : 4
- Onions :2
- Turmeric Powder : 1/4 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder : 1 tsp or to taste
- Tamarind : 1 inch piece
- Mustard Seeds : 1/4 tsp
- Urad Dal : 1/4 tsp
- Curry Leaves : 1 sprig
- Hing : 1/8 tsp
- Oil : 2 tsp
- Salt to taste
1. Wash and chop the tomatoes and set aside.
2. Peel and chop the onion into pieces and set aside.
3. Heat a teaspoon of oil in a wok and add the chopped onions and fry till the onions are translucent.
4. Now add the chopped tomatoes, tamarind and turmeric powder and cook till tomatoes are soft and pulpy.
5. Switch off the flame and let it cool completely.
6. Grind the cooked tomato mixture, salt and red chilli powder by adding little water.
7. Transfer the chutney to a bowl and set aside.
8. Heat a teaspoon of oil in a pan for seasoning. Add the mustard seeds and urad dal and let them splutter.
9. When the seeds stop popping, add the curry leaves and hing. Stir for a couple of seconds and switch off the heat. Pour over the chutney and combine well.