Mulakkada Charu / Murungai Rasam Recipe:
Preparation & Cooking Time : 20 mins
Serves: 4 – 5 persons
Rasam Powder: 2 tsp
Red Chilli Powder: as needed
Tamarind: Gooseberry sized ball
Sugar or Jaggery : 1 – 2 tsp or as needed
Oil: 1 tsp
Mustard Seeds: 1/2 tsp
Cumin Seeds: 1/2 tsp
Hing: 1/8 tsp
Red Chilli : 1
Coriander Leaves: 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
1. Soak the tamarind in water for 10 minutes and squeeze well
to extract the juice.
2. Wash and cut the drumstick into long pieces and set aside.
3. Add the chopped tomato, drumstick pieces and water in a vessel. Cover with a lid and cook until drumstick pieces are tender.
4. Add the rasam powder, salt, jaggery, tamarind extract, red chilli powder and water (adjust to desired
consistency) and let it boil for 10 minutes.
5. Then add the chopped
coriander leaves and mix well. Remove from the flame and set aside.
6. Heat oil in a pan for seasoning. Add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds
and let them splutter.
7. When they stop popping, add the hing and red
chilli. Stir for a couple of seconds and pour this over the rasam and
8. Serve hot with rice.