If you are looking for more traditional recipes then do check Coconut Poli, Andhra Poornam Boorelu, Gujarati Mohanthal, Pineapple Kesari, Coconut Lemon Rice, Daddojanam, Peanut Sesame Seeds Laddu and Rava Appalu
Bobbatlu / Paruppu Poli Recipe
Prep Time: 15 mins | Cook time: 30 mins | Makes: 11 – 12 Polis
For the Stuffing:
- 1 cup Chana Dal / Split Bengal Gram
- 1 1/4 cup Powdered Jaggery
- 4 tbsp Grated Coconut
- 1/4 tsp Cardamom Powder
For the Outer Layer:
- 1 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour / Maida
- 5 tbsp Oil
- A big pinch of Turmeric Powder
- A pinch of Salt
- Ghee as needed
- Ghee / Oil for frying the puranpoli
- In a mixing bowl, add the flour, 3 tablespoons of warm oil, turmeric and salt and mix well.
- Then add water little by little and knead into a very soft dough.
- The dough should be loose than the regular chapathi dough.
- Add remaining oil and cover with a lid. Keep it aside for 1 – 2 hours.
- Wash and pressure cook the split bengal gram with just enough water to cover the dal. The dal should be just cooked and hold the shape.
- Turn off the flame. Drain excess water completely. Make sure that there is no water and let it cool down.
- Grind the cooked dal into a powder and set aside.
- Combine the powdered jaggery and little water in a pan. Let the jaggery dissolves completely and bring it to a boil.
- Add the ground chana dal, grated coconut and cardamom powder to it.
- Mix very well and cook until the mixture thickens.
- When the mixture becomes like a dough, turn off the flame.
- Let it cool. Divide the mixture into 11 – 12 round shape balls and set aside.
- Divide the soaked dough into 11 – 12 equal balls.
- Flatten the dough ball with your finger to form a small disc and place the chana dal stuffing ball in the center.
- Bring the edges together and seal it.
- Dust some flour on the board and roll it to a thin round disc.
- Heat a pan / tawa. Place the rolled puran poli on the pan.
- Fry on both sides applying ghee / oil until brown spots appear.
- Repeat the same for rest of the dough and stuffing.
- Serve hot or warm.
You might also like to check these recipes: