If you are looking for more rice dishes then do check Rava Pulihora, Pudina Rice, Aava Pettina Pulihora, Pepper tamarind Rice, Chakra Pongali, Rice rava moong dal upma, Vegetable khara pongal, Phodnicha Bhaat, Pulihora and Undrallu.
Velakkaya Pulihora / South Indian Wood Apple Rice Recipe
Prep Time: 5 mins | Cook time: 25 mins | Serves: 2
- 1 Wood Apple / Elephant Apple
- 2 cups Cooked Rice
- 1 tbsp Peanuts
- 1 tsp Mustard
- 1 tsp Chana Dal
- 1 tsp Urad Dal
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 3 – 4 Green Chillies
- 3 Dry Red Chillies
- 1 Sprig Curry Leaves
- 1/8 tsp Hing
- 2 tbsp Oil
- Salt to taste
- Break the wood apple and scoop out the pulp.
- In a pan, add the wood apple pulp and cover it with water. Let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and cool.
- Grind it into a paste and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds, chana dal, urad dal and peanuts.
- When the seeds stop popping, add the slit green chillies, red chillies, curry leaves and hing and fry for a few seconds.
- Then add the turmeric and wood apple paste and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add the cooked rice and salt.
- Combine well and serve.
You might also like to check these recipes: