|Millet Ven Pongal|
- Millet / Foxtail Millet / Korra Biyyam : 3/4 cup
- Split Moong Dal : 1/4 cup
- Water : 3 cups
- Green Chillies :3 - 4
- Black Peppercorns : 1 tsp
- Grated Ginger : 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds : 1 tsp
- Curry Leaves : 1 sprig
- Turmeric Powder : 1/4 tsp
- Ghee / Oil : 2 tbsp
- Hing : 1/8 tsp
- A few cashews
- Salt to taste
1. Put the rinsed millet, moong dal, turmeric powder and 3 cups of water in a pressure cooker and cook till 3 whistles.
2. Turn off the flame and wait until the pressure go off.
3. Crush the peppercorns coarsely with a mortar and pestle and keep it aside.
4. Wash and chop the green chilies into small pieces and set aside.
5. Heat two tablespoons of ghee for seasoning.
6. Add the cumin seeds and let them splutter. Now add and fry the chopped green chillies, grated ginger and cashews. Then add the hing, curry leaves and freshly ground peppercorns to it and fry for a few seconds.
7. Remove from the flame and pour over the cooked millet mixture. Add salt and mix very well.
8. Serve hot with coconut chutney.
- You can also check other Breakfast recipes here
- Check out other recipes of Millet here
- Back to Recipe Index