Few More Halwa Recipes on the blog:
- Vermicelli Pineapple Halwa
- Orange Rava Kesari
- Carrot Coconut Milk Halwa
- Shakarkandi Halwa
- Pineapple Kesari
- Singhara Halwa
- Sooji Gur Ka Halwa
Beetroot Halwa or Chukandar Ka Halwa Recipe Video:
Beetroot Halwa or Chukandar Ka Halwa Recipe
Traditional Indian halwa or pudding made with grated beetroots, milk, sugar, cardamom and nuts. Recipe with step by step photos and video.
- 2 cups Grated Beetroots
- 2 cups Milk boiled and cooled
- 3 tbsp Ghee
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom Powder
- 15 Cashew Nuts
- 1 tbsp Raisins
- 1 tbsp Sliced Almonds
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- Wash, peel and grate beetroots and keep it aside.
- Heat ghee in a heavy bottomed pan and fry the almonds and cashews until light golden color.
- Then add raisins to it and continue roasting until golden color.
- Remove the nuts from the ghee and keep it aside.
- In the same pan, add the grated beetroots and saute for about 5-6 minutes or until the raw smell disappears.
- Pour milk and cook over a high flame until milk evaporates. It may take 10 – 15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Now add sugar and cardamom powder and combine.
- Keep stirring over a medium flame until it forms a mass and leaving the sides of the pan.
- This will thicken more as it cools.
- Add fried nuts and combine.
Calories: 539kcal | Carbohydrates: 73g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Cholesterol: 54mg | Sodium: 143mg | Potassium: 623mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 64g | Vitamin A: 295IU | Vitamin C: 4.5mg | Calcium: 207mg | Iron: 1.5mg
How to Make Beetroot Halwa Recipe with Step by Step Photos:
- Start the process with grating the beetroots. Measure the peeled and grated beetroots and keep it aside.
- Heat ghee in a wide and heavy bottomed pan.
- Add cashew nuts and silvered or sliced almonds. Roast them on a medium flame until light golden color.
- When they are lightly roasted, add raisins and continue roasting till light brown color.
- Remove the roasted nuts from the ghee and keep them aside for later use.
- In the same ghee, add the grated beetroot and keep stirring for about 5-6 minutes or until the raw smell disappears. This is the very important step.
- When the beetroots are roasted well in ghee, add 2 cups of boiled and cooled milk to it.
- Mix well and Increase the flame to high.
- Cook the mixture over a high flame until milk evaporates. Keep stirring occasionally.
- When the mixture is thick, reduce the flame to medium.
- Now add sugar and cardamom powder. Mix well.
- the texture of the halwa will be thin again at this stage.
- Keep stirring over a medium heat until it forms a mass and leaving the sides of the pan.
- When you get the right consistency, turn off the flame.
- Add the roasted nuts and combine.
- The halwa will thicken more as it cools.