Few More Halwa Recipes on the blog:
- Vermicelli Pineapple Halwa
- Orange Rava Kesari
- Carrot Coconut Milk Halwa
- Shakarkandi Halwa
- Pineapple Kesari
- Singhara Halwa
- Sooji Gur Ka Halwa
Beetroot Halwa or Chukandar Ka Halwa Recipe Video:
Beetroot Halwa or Chukandar Ka Halwa Recipe
Traditional Indian halwa or pudding made with grated beetroots, milk, sugar, cardamom and nuts. Recipe with step by step photos and video.
- 2 cups Grated Beetroots
- 2 cups Milk boiled and cooled
- 3 tbsp Ghee
- ½ tsp Cardamom Powder
- 15 Cashew Nuts
- 1 tbsp Raisins
- 1 tbsp Sliced Almonds
- ¾ cup Sugar
- Wash, peel and grate beetroots and keep it aside.
- Heat ghee in a heavy bottomed pan and fry the almonds and cashews until light golden color.
- Then add raisins to it and continue roasting until golden color.
- Remove the nuts from the ghee and keep it aside.
- In the same pan, add the grated beetroots and saute for about 5-6 minutes or until the raw smell disappears.
- Pour milk and cook over a high flame until milk evaporates. It may take 10 – 15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Now add sugar and cardamom powder and combine.
- Keep stirring over a medium flame until it forms a mass and leaving the sides of the pan.
- This will thicken more as it cools.
- Add fried nuts and combine.
Calories: 539kcalCarbohydrates: 73gProtein: 8gFat: 25gSaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 54mgSodium: 143mgPotassium: 623mgFiber: 3gSugar: 64gVitamin A: 295IUVitamin C: 4.5mgCalcium: 207mgIron: 1.5mg
Nutrition values are estimates only.
Tried this recipe?Mention @iamharichandana or tag #blendwithspices!
How to Make Beetroot Halwa Recipe with Step by Step Photos:
- Start the process with grating the beetroots. Measure the peeled and grated beetroots and keep it aside.
- Heat ghee in a wide and heavy bottomed pan.
- Add cashew nuts and silvered or sliced almonds. Roast them on a medium flame until light golden color.
- When they are lightly roasted, add raisins and continue roasting till light brown color.
- Remove the roasted nuts from the ghee and keep them aside for later use.
- In the same ghee, add the grated beetroot and keep stirring for about 5-6 minutes or until the raw smell disappears. This is the very important step.
- When the beetroots are roasted well in ghee, add 2 cups of boiled and cooled milk to it.
- Mix well and Increase the flame to high.
- Cook the mixture over a high flame until milk evaporates. Keep stirring occasionally.
- When the mixture is thick, reduce the flame to medium.
- Now add sugar and cardamom powder. Mix well.
- the texture of the halwa will be thin again at this stage.
- Keep stirring over a medium heat until it forms a mass and leaving the sides of the pan.
- When you get the right consistency, turn off the flame.
- Add the roasted nuts and combine.
- The halwa will thicken more as it cools.
seems to be very delicious and the colour is lovely.but what is the quantity of sugar that is to be added?
Hari Chandana Ponnaluri says
3/4 cup. Sorry for the confusion. Updated the post. Thank you so much! 🙂