What is Shakarkandi Halwa?
Shakarkandi Halwa is an Indian style pudding or dessert made with sweet potatoes, ghee (clarified butter), nuts and cardamom powder. It is one of the quick and easy desserts that can be made for any occasion. It is a perfect dish to serve during navratri festival or fasting days. This halwa is also known as Chilakadadumpa Halwa and Sakkaravalli Kizhangu Halwa.
Ingredients for Shakarkandi Ka Halwa:
It is one of the simpler Indian dessert recipes that require few ingredients.
Sweet Potatoes: Any variety of sweet potatoes can be used in this recipe.
Ghee: Traditionally, we use ghee or clarified butter to make desserts. But, you can replace it with coconut oil if you are vegan.
Saffron: This gives a nice color and flavor to the dish. But, it is completely optional.
Cashews & Raisins
How many days Sweet Potato Halwa can be stored?
It stays well in the refrigerator for a couple of days.
More Halwa Recipes on the blog:
- Kasi Jaggery Halwa
- Besan Ka Halwa
- Akhrot Ka Halwa
- Chukandar Ka Halwa
- Carrot Coconut Milk Halwa
- Singhara Halwa
- Custard Powder Halwa
- Orange Rava Kesari
- Bread Halwa
- Vermicelli Pineapple Halwa
- Godhuma Rava Halwa
How to Make Sweet Potato Halwa Recipe below:
Sweet Potato Halwa Recipe
- 2 medium Sweet Potatoes (approx 1 1/4 cups mashed sweet potatoes)
- 5 tbsp Sugar (depends on the sweetness of the sweet potatoes)
- 4 to 5 tbsp Ghee
- 1/4 tsp Cardamom Powder
- 1 Pinch Saffron
- 2 tbsp Milk
- Cashews as needed
- Raisins as needed
- Boil and peel the sweet potatoes. Mash them well and set aside.
- Soak the saffron in warm milk for a few minutes. Crush it well and set aside.
- Heat ghee in a pan. Add and fry the cashews until golden color. Then add raisins and fry until they plump up. Remove from the pan and keep them aside.
- In the same ghee, add the mashed sweet potato and mix well. Saute for 4 – 5 minutes.
- Add sugar and stir till the sugar dissolves completely.
- Then add the saffron milk and cardamom powder and combine well.
- Reduce the flame to low and keep on stirring the halwa for 8 – 10 minutes.
- Then add the roasted cashews and raisins and mix.
- Turn off the flame. Serve the sweet potato halwa warm or cold.