Gongura Pappu - Andhra Sorrel Leaves Dal Recipe
How to Make Andhra Style Gongura Dal - Healthy and traditional sorrel leaves dal recipe from Andhra Pradesh.
- 1/2 cup Toor Dal
- 2 cups Chopped Sorrel Leaves
- 1 Onion, medium sized
- 1 - 2 Green Chillies
- 1 Large Garlic Cloves (optional)
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Chana Dal
- 1/2 tsp Urad Dal
- 1 Dried Red Chilli
- A pinch of Hing
- A big pinch of Turmeric Powder
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 Sprig Curry Leaves
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp Red Chilli Powder or as needed
- Wash and pressure cook the toor dal with one cup of water and keep it aside.
- Discard the sorrel leaves stems. Wash and chop the leaves and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds, chana dal and urad dal and fry until golden brown.
- Add the finely chopped or crushed garlic, hing, curry leaves, chopped green chillies and red chilli and saute for a few seconds.
- Now add the chopped onion and fry until transparent.
- Add the washed and chopped sorrel leaves and saute well. Sprinkle little water if needed and let it cook completely.
- Add the turmeric powder and cooked toor dal. Combine well.
- Add little water to adjust the dal consistency. Add salt and red chilli powder and mix well.
- Let it cook for a few minutes and remove from the heat.
- Serve hot with steamed rice or roti.
How to Make Andhra Gongura Dal Recipe Video