Vegan Creamy Tomato Coconut Pasta – One that is ridiculously easy to make and mess around with, if you’re into vegan, creamy pastas!
I am particularly keen on trying out different vegan pasta sauces as they are simple, easy to make on busy-dinner days. Creamy tomato pasta variants are very easy to experiment and fall in love with. Let’s take a peek into one such pasta dish that is very easy to make in under 30 min.
What is tomato coconut pasta?
Tomato coconut pasta is one of the easiest vegan pasta recipes that is creamy, flavorful and uses only a handful of ingredients.
Coconut cream brings about the creamy texture, tomato adds zing, garlic and basil form the perfect blend of strength versus smoothness, while penne paste takes care of the rest.
What you will need:
Pasta: I have used penne pasta in this recipe. Fusilli, rotini, or any other pasta can also be used.
Fresh Tomato Puree: I have used homemade tomato puree. Just grind 7-8 medium ripe tomatoes to a smooth puree to get 2 ½ cups of fresh tomato sauce.
Tomato Paste: It gives an intense flavor and color to the dish. It is totally optional though.
Coconut Cream: Full fat or low-fat coconut cream can be used to make this creamy vegan pasta recipe. If you don’t have coconut cream handy, use the same quantity of coconut milk.
Fresh Basil: I love using fresh herbs in my Italian recipes whenever possible. If you want to substitute fresh basil with dried basil, replace it with 4 teaspoons of dry basil.
Garlic: I am a huge garlic buff so I never feel the need to moderate its quantity 🙂
Olive oil, Salt & Pepper
Can I replace coconut cream with coconut milk?
I have tried and tested both versions and yes, you can replace coconut cream with coconut milk. Same quantity works just fine. The fattier the milk, the higher the creaminess though. Creamy, dreamy – remember?
This will be a great choice as a main course for gatherings, dinners etc. if you want to quickly make something just 30 minutes before the event.
Can I make it ahead of time?
Sure. It can be made ahead and refrigerated for up to 2 days. However, if you’re preparing a large meal for a gathering, I recommend cooking the pasta and making the sauce ahead of time, and mixing them just before serving.
Coat the pasta with a little bit of oil to prevent the pieces from sticking to each other.
Step by step instructions:
Bring a big pot of salted water to a rolling boil and cook the pasta according to the package instructions.
Drain pasta and rinse it with cold water to avoid further cooking. Drain completely and set aside.
Heat olive oil in a sauté pan and add finely chopped garlic and stir for a minute.
Add tomato paste (if using) and give it a stir.
Pour fresh tomato sauce in the pan and mix well.
Add required and salt and pepper and combine everything well.
Let it cook the sauce over a medium – low flame for about 10-12 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Don’t forget to stir it occasionally.
Once it is thick, reduce the flame to low.
Add in coconut cream and mix everything until well combined.
Add chopped basil leaves and mix.
Let it simmer for another 3-4 minutes.
Add more salt and pepper if needed.
Add the drained pasta to the sauce and combine it well.
Serve warm. Sprinkle some red chilli flakes on top if needed.
Few more related recipes on the blog:
Creamy tomato coconut pasta recipe video below:
Vegan Creamy Tomato Coconut Pasta
- 2.5 Cups Pasta
- 4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Heaped Tablespoon Chopped Garlic
- 2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 2.5 Cups Fresh Tomato Puree (about 8 medium ripe tomatoes)
- 1 Teaspoon Pepper Powder
- Salt to taste
- 250 ml Coconut Cream
- ¼ Cup Chopped Basil Leaves (tightly packed)
- Red chilli flakes for garnishing (optional)
- Cook the pasta with salted water according to the package instructions.
- Drain pasta and rinse it with cold water to avoid further cooking. Drain completely and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a sauté pan and add finely chopped garlic and stir for a minute.
- Add tomato paste (if using) and give it a stir.
- Add tomato puree, salt and pepper.
- Mix and cook the sauce over a medium – low flame for about 10-12 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Don’t forget to stir it occasionally.
- Once it is thick, add in coconut cream and mix everything until well combined.
- Add chopped basil leaves and let it simmer for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add the drained pasta to the sauce and combine it well.
Nutrition values are estimates only.