|Vankaya Kalchina Pachadi ~ Smoky Eggplant / Brinjal Chutney|
- Large Eggplant : 1
- Coriander Seeds : 1 tbsp
- Urad Dal : 1 tbsp
- A pinch of Fenugreek Seeds
- Dried Red Chillies : 8
- Tamarind : Small lemon sized
- Oil : 2 tsp
- Salt to taste
For Seasoning :
- Mustard Seeds : 1/4 tsp
- Urad Dal : 1/4 tsp
- Chana Dal : 1/4 tsp
- Curry Leaves : 1 small sprig
- A pinch of hing
- Oil : 1 tsp
|~ Large Eggplant ~|
1. Soak the tamarind in water and set aside.
2. Coat the eggplant with oil. Place the eggplant directly on the stove flame and roast until the eggplant black and soft.
3. Remove eggplant to a plate and let it cool completely.
4. Meanwhile, heat two teaspoons of oil in a pan. Add the coriander seeds, urad dal and fenugreek seeds and fry until golden brown color. Then add the red chillies and fry for a minute. Switch off the flame and allow it to cool.
5. Gently peel the eggplant with your hands and discard the stem.
6. Grind the roasted spices and tamarind into a fine mixture. Then add the eggplant and salt to it and pulse a couple of times.
7. Transfer to a bowl and set aside. Heat oil in pan for seasoning.
8. Add the mustard seeds, urad dal and chana dal and let them splutter. When the seeds stop popping, add the curry leaves and hing. Stir for a few seconds and turn off the flame.
9. Add this popu / tadka to the chutney and mix well.