Sambar is a main course in any South Indian meal. I have already posted a sambar recipe with black eyed beans and this is another variation of sambar with raw mango and toor dal. You can serve this with rice, ven pongal, idli, dosa, vada or even idiyappam. If you are looking for more recipes, then do check this Recipe Index.
Manga Sambar / Mamidikaya Sambar Recipe
Preparation & Cooking Time : 25 mins
Serves: 4 persons
Raw Mango: 1 cup
Toor Dal: 1/4 cup
Tomato: 1 small
Onion : 1
Sambar Powder: 2 tsp
Tamarind: 1 inch piece
Powdered Jaggery: 1 - 2 tsp
Red Chilli Powder to taste
Salt to taste
Turmeric Powder: 1/4 tsp
Mustard Seeds: 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek Seeds: 1/4 tsp
Cumin Seeds: 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida : 1/4 tsp
Dried Red Chilli : 1
Curry Leaves: 1 sprig
Oil: 2 tsp
1. Soak the tamarind in water and squeeze well to extract the juice and set aside.
2. Cook the rinsed toor dal for 3 - 4 whistles with a half cup cup of water. Mash the cooked dal and set aside.
3. Heat oil in a vessel and add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds and fenugreek seeds and let them splutter. Then add the red chilli, curry leaves and hing and fry for a couple of seconds.
4. Add the chopped onion and saute for a minute. Then add the chopped tomato and little water to it. Close with a lid and cook until soft.
5. Add the mashed dal, salt, turmeric, red chilli powder, tamarind extract, sambar powder, mango pieces and water to it.
6. Let it boil until mango pieces are soft. Add little more water if you want to adjust the consistency. Serve hot.