Bobbarla Sambar or Lobia Sambar Recipe – Healthy and delicious South Indian stew made with black-eyed peas and spices.
Sambar is a traditional South Indian style stew cooked with lentils, vegetables, tamarind and spices. It is a healthy and flavorful side dish that goes well with steamed rice, pongal, upma, dosa and idli. Sambar is usually prepared with toor dal or pigeon peas but I have replaced it with black-eyed peas / lobia / karamani.
Few More Sambar Recipes on the blog:
How to Make Lobia Sambar Recipe
Bobbarla Sambar - Lobia Sambar Recipe
- ¼ cup Black Eyed Beans
- 1 unit Onion big-sized
- 2 units Tomatoes
- 1.5 to 2 tbsp Sambar Powder
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
- Tamarind - small lemon sized ball
- 2 tsp Powdered Jaggery
- 1 tbsp Dry Coconut Powder optional
- Red Chilli Powder as needed optional
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Oil
- ½ tsp Mustard Seeds
- ½ tsp Cumin Seeds
- A pinch of hing
- 2 units Dried red chillies
- 1 Sprig Curry Leaves
- 2 tsp Oil
- Wash rinse and soak the beans in a lot of water overnight.
- Drain water and pressure cook for 3 – 4 whistles with fresh water. Drain and allow it to cool
- Soak the tamarind in water and squeeze well to extract the juice.
- Grind or mash the cooked beans and set aside.
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in a vessel. Add the chopped onion and chopped tomato and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Then add a little water and cover with a lid. Let it cook until soft.
- When the onion and tomatoes are cooked, add the cooked beans paste, tamarind extract, salt, red chilli powder, jaggery, sambar powder and water (adjust to desired consistency) to the cooked onions. Allow the sambar to boil and thicken.
- Now add the coconut powder and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan for seasoning. Add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Now add the red chillies, curry leaves and hing and stir for a couple of seconds.
- Pour the tempered ingredients over the prepared sambar and combine well. Serve hot with rice, idli or pongal.