Black Eyed Beans / Lobia / Karamani Sambar Recipe:
Cooking Time : 40 mins
Serves: 5 persons
Black Eyed Beans: 1/4 cup
Onion: 1 big sized
Sambar Powder: 1.5 – 2 tbsp
Turmeric Powder: 1/4 tsp
Tamarind : small lemon sized ball
Powdered Jaggery: 2 tsp
Dry Coconut Powder : 1 tbsp (optional)
Red Chilli Powder to taste
Salt to taste
Oil: 1 tsp
Mustard Seeds: 1/2 tsp
Cumin Seeds: 1/2 tsp
A pinch of hing
Whole dried red chillies : 2
Curry Leaves: 1 sprig
Oil: 2 tsp
rinse and soak the beans in lot of water overnight.
and pressure cook for 3 – 4 whistles with fresh water. Drain and allow
it to cool.
3. Grind or mash the cooked beans and set aside.
4. Heat a
teaspoon of oil in a vessel. Add the chopped onion and chopped tomato
and fry for a couple of minutes.
5. Then add the water and cover with a
lid. Let it cook completely.
6. Soak the tamarind in water and squeeze well
to extract the juice.
7. Add the cooked beans paste, tamarind extract, salt, red
chilli powder, jaggery, sambar powder and water (adjust to desired
consistency) to the cooked onions. Allow the sambar to boil and thicken.
8. Now add the coconut powder and cook for another 2 minutes.
9. Remove from
the heat and set aside. Heat oil in a pan for seasoning. Add the
mustard seeds and cumin seeds and let them splutter.
10. Now add the red
chillies, curry leaves and hing and stir for a couple of seconds.
11. Transfer it to the sambar and combine well. Serve hot with rice, idli or