Chocolate Cream Cheese Easter Braid – A simple, buttery, flaky and delectable pastry that is braided and filled with cream cheese and chocolate, decorated with chocolate mini eggs. It is a perfect addition to your Easter celebration’s dessert table.
What is cream cheese chocolate easter braid?
It is a simple and easy sweet pastry made with puff pastry sheet that is braided and filled with a layers of sweetened cream cheese mixture and dark chocolate and baked until golden brown and crispy. It is a delicious and festive treat that is perfect for celebration Easter or any other special occasions.
It can be served warm or at room temperature and is a wonderful treat for dessert, breakfast or lunch.
Why you’ll love this recipe
Super easy and fun to make!
This recipe can be easily customized for any occasion.
It is delicious, rich and festive!
Requires simple ingredients!
Puff Pastry Sheet – Puff pastry sheets works best for this recipe. Thaw them before assembling the pastry. You could also use shortcrust pastry sheet, the texture will be different though.
Cream Cheese – If you want to substitute cream cheese, you could use mascarpone cheese or ricotta cheese instead. It should be at room temperature.
Chocolate – I have used chopped dark chocolate in this recipe. Feel free to use whatever chocolate you have in hand such as milk chocolate, chocolate chips or white chocolate.
Sugar – You can replace it with brown sugar or powdered sugar.
Mini Eggs – These will add a festive touch to the pastry. You can substitute them with any other easter-themed candies like pastel colored M&Ms.
Milk – I have brushed the pastries with milk instead of egg wash to get a nice and golden color.
It taste amazing when served with a cup of hot coffee or tea.
Slice it and serve with whipping cream or ice cream. It can be served as a snack, breakfast or dessert.
It is perfect for parties, gatherings and holidays!
Unbaked – Braided and unbaked pastries can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. If you want to store them for longer period of time, freeze them for up to 2 months. Thaw them and bake whenever you want. You can bake them straight from the freezer, but it will take extra time to bake.
Baked – Store the baked pasty at room temperature for a day or in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Store them properly in an airtight container. You can also freeze them for up to 2 months. Reheat before serving.
- The baked pastry can be dusted with icing sugar or drizzled with melted white or dark chocolate for added sweetness and flavor.
- You could also sprinkle some sugar or sliced almonds over the braided pastry before baking.
- Add some whipped cream on top of the pastry before serving.
- You can also add some fresh fruits such as raspberries or blueberries.
Tips & Notes:
Puff pastry should be thawed in the fridge overnight, or at room temperature for an hour before starting the process.
Make sure your cream cheese is not cold to make a smooth filling.
You can also add a little bit of vanilla extract to the cream cheese filling.
I have used cadbury mini eggs as a decorative topping. You can also add them to the filling to make to more festive.
Do not skip brushing the pastry with milk, it will give it a shiny and golden brown finish. If you are fine with egg wash, use it.
Let it cool down a bit before slicing it. Use a sharp knife for neat slices.
Step by step instructions:
Combine cream cheese and sugar in a small mixing bowl.
Mix everything well using a spoon or whisk until smooth and creamy.
Unfold the thawed puff pastry onto the lined baking tray.
Spread the prepared cream cheese filling down the center of the pastry sheet, leaving some space around it.
Top it with chopped dark chocolate.
Cut strips on both sides and remove the corner pieces
Fold the strips over the chocolate mixture, alternating sides, to make a braided pattern.
Once it is done, brush the top with milk.
Bake in the preheated oven at 200 degrees C for about 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
Once it is baked, top it with a handful of mini eggs.
Slice and serve!
You might like these recipes:
- Easter Popcorn
- Greek Easter Cookies
- Gulab Jamun Turnovers
- Cherry Turnovers
- Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
- Vegan Banana Cake
Chocolate cream cheese easter braid recipe video below:
Chocolate Cream Cheese Easter Braid
- ¾ Cup Cream Cheese, at room temperature (Approx. 150 grams)
- ¼ Cup Caster Sugar
- 1 Puff Pastry Sheet
- ½ Heaping Cup Chopped Dark Chocolate
- A Handful of Chocolate Mini Eggs
- Milk for brushing
- Combine cream cheese and sugar in a small mixing bowl.
- Mix everything well using a spoon or whisk until smooth and creamy.
- Unfold the thawed puff pastry onto the lined baking tray.
- Spread the prepared cream cheese filling down the center of the pastry sheet, leaving some space around it.
- Top it with chopped dark chocolate.
- Cut strips on both sides and remove the corner pieces.
- Fold the strips over the chocolate mixture, alternating sides, to make a braided pattern.
- Once it is done, brush the top with milk.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 200 degrees C for about 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Once it is baked, top it with a handful of mini eggs.
- Slice and serve!
Nutrition values are estimates only.