Pyaz Ki Kachori or Onion Kachori Recipe – Flaky, tasty and perfect Indian tea time fried snack stuffed with spiced onion filling.
What is Pyaz Kachori?
Pyaz Kachori or Onion Kachori is an Indian fried pastry stuffed with spiced onion filling. Kachori is one of the famous Indian street food dishes and can be served as breakfast or snack along with coffee or tea.
Is Onion Kachori Vegan?
It is vegan if you substitute ghee with oil.
Few Tips to Make the Best Onion Kachori:
- Do not skip adding ghee or oil to the dough
- Make sure you combine the ghee and flour together well to make a flaky kachori
- The dough should be smooth and firm.
- Don’t forget to cover the stuffed kachoris with a damp cloth to prevent them from drying.
- Make sure the oil is medium-hot when you start frying the kachoris. Always fry them on a low flame. If you feel the oil is not hot enough, let it heat for a minute between the batches.
More Indian Snack Recipes on the blog:
- Shakarkandi Chaat
- Bombay Veg Sandwich
- Hare Pyaz Ke Pakora
- Methi Na Gota
- Masala Pav
- Bhutte Ka Kees
- Rajasthani Mirchi Vada
- Chura Matar
- Cabbage Pakoda
- Peanut Chaat
How to Make Pyaz Ki Kachori Recipe below:
Pyaz Ki Kachori Recipe
For the Pastry
- 1.5 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 3 tbsp Oil
- Salt to taste
- Water as needed
For the Stuffing
- 2 cups Onion
- 1 tbsp Besan
- 2 to 4 Green Chillies
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1/2 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Dry Mango Powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 tbsp Coriander Leaves
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 Oil as needed
Preparing the dough:
- Take the flour and salt in a mixing bowl and mix well.
- Add ghee and combine well to get a breadcrumb-like consistency.
- Make a smooth and firm dough by adding water little by little.
- Knead it well and cover the dough and set aside for 30 minutes.
Preparing the Stuffing:
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan.
- Add cumin seeds and fennel seeds and fry till they begin to change color.
- Then add the green chillies and saute for a few seconds.
- Add the finely chopped onion and fry till light golden color.
- Add the coriander powder, cumin powder, salt, red chilli powder, amchur, turmeric and chickpea flour and fry for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add coriander leaves and combine them.
- Turn off the flame and let it cool completely.
Preparing & Frying the Kachoris
- Knead the dough and divide into 9 – 10 round balls.
- Roll out each portion of the dough into a 4 – 5 inches diameter circle with a rolling pin.
- Place a spoon of the onion stuffing in the middle of the disc. Wet the edges with little water.
- Bring all the edges together and seal it well.
- Flatten very gently into a 3 – 4 inches diameter circle.
- Continue making the rest of the kachoris and cover them with a damp cloth.
- Heat oil until hot and gently drop a couple of kachoris at a time. Reduce the flame to low.
- Turn over in between and fry till they become golden brown and crisp.
- The oil should not be very hot. It should be medium hot.
- Drain them paper towels and serve hot with coriander mint chutney or tomato sauce.