Sambar powder is a South Indian spice powder that is used to make a traditional lentil-based dish called “Sambar”. Homemade spice blends are so good and flavorful and super easy to make.
Few more spice powder recipes:
How to make Tamil sambar powder recipe below:
Homemade Tamil Sambar Powder
- 1 ¾ cups Coriander Seeds
- 30 Dried Red Chillies adjust according to your spice level
- 1 tbsp Chana Dal
- 1 tbsp Urad Dal
- 1 tbsp Toor Dal
- 2 tsp Black Peppercorns
- 1 tbsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tbsp Fenugreek Seeds
- 2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- ½ tsp Hing
- 3-4 sprigs Curry Leaves
- In a heavy-bottomed pan, dry roast the coriander seeds on a low flame until fragrant or light brown color. Add the hing to the coriander seeds and continue roasting for a few seconds or until fragrant.
- Transfer it to a plate. Add the turmeric powder to the roasted coriander seeds and let it cool.
- Dry roast the curry leaves until crisp. Keep them aside.
- Then roast the red chillies for a few seconds and keep them aside.
- Dry roast all the ingredients one by one until they are a light golden brown color and fragrant.
- Let them cool completely.
- Grind the roasted ingredients into a fine powder.
- Let the ground powder cool completely and store in an airtight container.
- You can refrigerate it for longer use.