Cumin is a flavorful and healthy spice and it has a very important place in Indian, Mexican, Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cuisines. We use cumin seeds and roasted cumin powder in our everyday Indian cooking to enhance the flavor of the dish and improve digestion. This cumin powder or jeera powder can be made in bulk and store in an airtight container for about 6 months. You can use this spice powder to make lassi, curries, gravies, chaats, salads and raitas.
Few Recipes where you can use this Homemade Jeera Powder:
How to Make Roasted Cumin Powder or Jeera Powder Video:
Homemade Roasted Cumin Powder or Jeera Powder
How to make Homemade Roasted Jeera Powder Recipe for curries, gravies and chaats.
- ¼ cup Cumin Seeds
- Heat a pan over a medium-low flame and dry roast the cumin seeds until fragrant and golden brown color.
- Keep stirring to avoid burning the seeds.
- Remove from the flame and let them cool completely.
- Grind them to a fine powder and store in an airtight container.
Nutrition values are estimates only.
How to Make Homemade Jeera Powder Recipe with Step by Step Photos:
- Heat a pan over a medium-low flame and add ¼ cup of cumin seeds.
- Keep roasting until they are evenly browned and fragrant. Do not burn them.
- When they are fragrant and golden brown, transfer them to a plate and let them cool completely.
- Transfer the cooled cumin seeds to a dry mixie jar or spice blender.
- Grind them into a fine powder.
- Transfer the ground cumin to a dry airtight container and store in a cool or dry place for about 6 months.
- Always use a clean and dry spoon for longer shelf life.