Upma Recipe – A famous and traditional South Indian savory breakfast recipe
Upma is a savory porridge made with semolina / rava, ginger and green chillies. It is a traditional South Indian breakfast dish and usually served with coconut chutney, peanut chutney, podi or any pickle. It tastes great even without any side dish. Upma is so easy to make and can be done in 15-20 minutes. You can also use ready-made roasted rava / semolina or you can roast the rava and store in an airtight container.
Few More Breakfast Recipes on the blog:
South Indian Rava Upma Recipe with Video:
If you like this recipe for Rava Upma, please consider rating it in the comment section! 🙂
How to Make Rava Upma Recipe with Step by Step photos and video. A Traditional and famous South Indian breakfast dish prepared with semolina or sooji, ginger and green chillies
- 1/2 cup Semolina / Sooji
- 1.5 cups Water
- 1 Small Onion
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Chana Dal
- 1/2 tsp Urad Dal
- 2-3 tbsp Peanuts
- 10 Cashews
- 1-2 Green Chillies, finely chopped
- 1 inch piece Ginger, finely chopped or grated
- 1 Red Chilli (optional)
- A Sprig Curry Leaves
- 3 tbsp Oil
- 1 tbsp Ghee (clarified butter)
- Salt to taste
Dry roast the semolina or sooji on a low flame for about 5 minutes. Keep it aside.
Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds, urad dal, chana dal and peanuts. Saute until they are light brown color.
Add the cashew nuts, finely chopped green chillies, chopped ginger and red chilli and fry until brown color.
Add the curry leaves and saute for a few seconds.
Add the chopped onion and saute until they are translucent.
Add water and salt and bring it to a rolling boil.
Slowly add the roasted rava or semolina and stir continuously to avoid any lumps.
Mix it well.
Cover and cook over a medium-low flame for 3 - 5 minutes or until the rava gets cooked.
Give it a mix and finally add the ghee.
Mix until well combined and serve hot.
Do not skip adding ginger, it gives a wonderful flavor and taste to the Upma.
Roasting the Rava, water ratio and boiling the water is very important to make a soft and fluffy upma.
Upma Recipe with Step by Step Photos:
- Dry roast the semolina or sooji on a low flame for about 5 minutes or until fragrant, non-sticky and free-flowing. Roasting the rava is very important to make a non-sticky upma. Roast it only on a low flame and keep stirring to prevent color change. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan for seasoning. Add the mustard seeds, urad dal, chana dal and peanuts. Saute until they are light brown color.
- Add the cashew nuts, finely chopped green chillies, chopped ginger and red chilli and fry until brown color.
- Add the curry leaves and saute for a few seconds.
- Add the chopped onion and saute over a medium flame until they are translucent.
- Add 1 and 1/2 cups of water and required salt and bring it to a rolling boil. Wait for the water to boil thoroughly before adding the roasted rava to make the upma soft and fluffy.
- Slowly add the semolina and keep stirring to avoid any lumps from forming.
- The upma will splutter a lot at this stage so be careful while stirring. Cover with a lid and let cook over a low flame for about 5 minutes or until the sooji or rava gets cooked completely.
- When it is done, give it a quick stir and add ghee. Mix until well combined and serve hot with a cup of coffee.