Kanchipuram Upma is a healthy, easy and delicious South Indian breakfast made with semolina, spices and coconut. A super quick dish and can be served as breakfast or dinner.
Few more breakfast recipes on the blog:
- Carrot Paratha
- Masala Pav
- Bombay veg sandwich
- Paneer Pav Bhaji
- Mamidikaya Borugula Pulihora
- Methi Paratha
- Lemon Sevai
- Raspberry Chia Pudding
- Oats Ven Pongal
How to make kanchipuram upma recipe below:
Kanchipuram Upma Recipe
- 1 cup Semolina
- 2 ¼ cups Water
- 3 tbsp Grated Fresh Coconut
- 1 Onion medium-sized
- 1 inch Ginger piece finely chopped
- 2 Green Chillies or as needed
- ½ tsp Black Peppercorns
- ½ tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Chana Dal
- 1 tsp Urad Dal
- ½ tsp Cumin Seeds
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Sprig Curry Leaves
- 10 Cashews
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- Salt to taste
- Dry roast the semolina on a medium flame until you get a nice aroma. Don’t let it change color.
- Heat oil and ghee in a pan. Add the mustard seeds, chana dal, urad dal, cumin seeds and black pepper and fry till they start to brown a little.
- Then add the cashews and fry until they are golden browned.
- Add the finely chopped ginger, chopped green chillies and curry leaves and fry for a couple of seconds.
- Add the chopped onion and fry till transparent.
- Then add water, salt and turmeric powder to the onion mixture and let it come to a boil.
- Add the coconut and combine. Reduce the flame to low.
- Slowly add the roasted semolina in a sprinkled way, stirring constantly to avoid lumps.
- Cover it with a lid. Cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes or until well cooked.
- Turn off the flame and serve hot.
Nutrition values are estimates only.