Oats Ven Pongal Recipe – Healthy and delicious Indian style oats breakfast recipe with step by step photos and video.
Ven Pongal / Khara Pongal / Katte Pongali is a traditional South Indian savory breakfast. Traditionally it is made with rice and lentils and seasoned with ghee roasted spices. I have replaced the rice with oats to make this dish healthier.
This Oats Pongal is one of the easy and delicious Indian oats recipes and perfect for breakfast or dinner. Can be made in 25-30 minutes.
Few More Healthy Breakfast Recipes on the blog:
- Quinoa Upma
- Instant Ragi Idli
- Mixed Fruit Yogurt Parfait
- Lemon Quinoa
- Chura Matar
- Carrot Paratha
- Methi Paratha
- Quinoa Chocolate Pudding
- Peanut Butter Apple Banana Sandwich
How to Make Oats Ven Pongal Recipe Video Below:
Oats Ven Pongal Recipe
Oats Pongal / Oats Ven Pongal / Oats Khara Pongal is a healthy & quick Indian style savory breakfast made with oats and lentils and seasoned with spices.
- 1 cup Instant Oats
- ½ cup Moong Dal
- 3 tbsp Ghee
- 2 tsp Black Peppercorns lightly crushed
- 2 tsp Ginger finely chopped
- 2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- ⅛ tsp Hing
- 1 Green Chilli
- Salt to taste
- 20 Cashews
- 1 Sprig Curry Leaves
- Pressure cook the rinsed moong dal with 1.5 cups of water for 3 whistles.
- Lightly mash the cooked dal and keep it aside.
- Dry roast the quick oats over a low-medium flame for about 5 minutes.
- Pour 1 cup of water to the roasted oats and keep mixing and cook for 3 - 4 minutes or until oats are cooked.
- Now add the cooked moong dal and salt and mix until well combined.
- Turn off the flame.
- Heat ghee in a pan for seasoning. Add cumin seeds, cashews, finely chopped ginger and finely chopped green chillies and roast until golden brown color.
- Then add curry leaves, crushed pepper and hing and saute for a couple of seconds.
- Turn off the flame and pour this seasoning over the cooked oats mixture.
- Mix well and serve hot with chutney or sambar.
Add more water while cooking the oats to get the thin consistency. Adjust the pepper and green chillies according to your taste.
Calories: 276kcalCarbohydrates: 32gProtein: 9gFat: 13gSaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 28mgSodium: 44mgPotassium: 442mgFiber: 7gSugar: 2gVitamin A: 45IUVitamin C: 2.6mgCalcium: 63mgIron: 3.6mg
Nutrition values are estimates only.
Tried this recipe?Mention @iamharichandana or tag #blendwithspices!
Oats Pongal Recipe with Step by Step Photos:
- Wash and drain ½ cup of moong dal and transfer to a pressure cooker. Add 1.5 cups of water to it and cook for 3 whistles. You can also cook the moong dal on the stovetop.
- Lightly mash the cooked dal and keep it aside until use.
- Take a wide pan, add and roast the oats for about 5 minutes over a low-medium flame. Do not burn them.
- Add one cup of water the roasted oats and mix well.
- Keep stirring and cook for 3-4 minutes or until oats are cooked completely.
- Oats should be cooked completely. See the above image for consistency.
- Now add the cooked moong dal and required salt to it and combine well.
- Turn off the flame and keep it aside.
- Take ghee in a small pan or tadka pan for seasoning.
- Add cumin seeds, cashew nuts, finely chopped ginger and finely chopped green chilli and saute until they are golden brown.
- When they are browned, add curry leaves, crushed pepper and hing to it and saute for a couple of minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- Pour the prepared seasoning over the cooked oats pongal and mix everything well.
- Serve hot with chutney or sambar.
Hari Chandana Ponnaluri says
Thank you! 🙂