Methi Millet Pulao – A healthy and flavorful dish using foxtail millets, methi or fresh fenugreek leaves and spices.
What is millet methi pulao?
Millet methi pulao is a healthy Indian style main course made with foxtail millets, fresh fenugreek leaves and spices. Foxtail millet is also known as Korralu in Telugu, Thinai in Tamil, Navane in Kannada and Kangni in Hindi. It is one of the easy and delicious foxtail millet recipes.
Is it necessary to soak millet before cooking?
Soaking them will increase the absorption of minerals and make them easier to digest. You can soak them overnight or for a couple of hours. If you soak them, it will reduce the cooking time too. If you don’t have time, you can skip this step.
Can I add vegetables to it?
Diced carrots, potatoes, cauliflower and green peas can be added.
It is vegan?
Yes, it is. Indian main courses like pulav or biryani are usually served with raita which is a yogurt-based dish or plain yogurt. If you are vegan, serve this millet pulao with vegan-friendly yogurt.
It is a perfect dish if you are looking for lunchbox recipes.
If you are looking for more Indian recipes with millets then check the below recipes.
Indian millet recipes:
- Millet Lemon Rice
- Thinai Upma
- Korrabiyyam Mamidikaya Pulihora
- Pudina Millet Rice
- Thinai Pongal
- Korra Biyyam Payasam
- Kuthiraivali Sakkarai Pongal
- Ragi Sunnundalu
- Ragi Coconut Burfi
How to make methi millet pulao recipe below:
Methi Millet Pulao Recipe
- 1 cup Foxtail Millets / Korralu
- 1 cup Fenugreek Leaves tightly packed
- 2 cups Water
- 1 ½ cup Chopped Tomato
- 1 cup Sliced Onion
- 4 - 5 Green Chllies
- 3 - 4 Garlic Cloves
- 1 small piece Ginger
- 1 ½ inch piece Cinnamon Stick
- 3 Cloves
- 2 Cardamom Pods
- 2 tbsp Oil
- ½ tsp Cumin Seeds
- A few Cashews
- Grind the green chillies, garlic, ginger, cloves, cinnamon and cardamom seeds into a coarse paste and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker, add the cumin seeds and cashews and fry them.
- When they are browned, add the sliced onion and saute until golden brown color.
- Add the ground masala paste to it and fry for a minute.
- Now add the washed fenugreek leaves and fry until it wilts.
- Then add the washed and drained millets, tomatoes, salt and 2 cups of water.
- Pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Serve hot with raita.
Nutrition values are estimates only.