What is Panakam?
Panakam is a traditional and classic South Indian summer cooler usually made during Sri Rama Navami festival. It is also known as Panagam.
Panakam is one of the simple and healthy Indian drinks to beat the summer heat. It is nothing but jaggery water mildly spiced with black peppercorns and flavored with cardamom powder. It is an ayurvedic energy-boosting drink and way better than the store-bought cool drinks.
This version is Andhra style of making panakam where we use only pepper and cardamom to add the flavor. There are some other variations where you can also use a pinch of dry ginger powder and some lemon juice.
How long can I store it?
It keeps well for 2 days in the refrigerator.
- The quantity of jaggery completely depends on the type of jaggery you use and your preferences. I would suggest to start with ½ cup of jaggery and add more if you want.
- I have used coarsely crushed black peppercorns in this beverage, you can always strain the drink if you wish. Let the ground pepper soak in the drink for some time before filtering.
- If you are adding lemon juice, serve it chilled for the best taste.
- The color of the drink will depend on the jaggery you use.
- Use freshly ground pepper and cardamom for the best flavor.
- Add ½ to ¾ cup of grated or powdered jaggery to a bowl and pour 2 cups of water.
- Mix very well and keep it aside until the jaggery dissolved completely.
- Once the jaggery is dissolved, filter it using a strainer to remove any impurities.
- Now add pepper and cardamom and give it a mix.
- If you are using lemon juice and dry ginger powder, add them at this stage.
- Chill in the refrigerator and strain if needed before serving.
Few more Indian festival dishes:
- Orange Rava Kesari
- Sweet Ammini Kozhukattai
- Kobbari Poornalu
- Coconut Milk Sweet Pongal
- Chintakaya Pulihora
- Bellam Thalikalu
- Prasadacha Sheera
How to make Panakam recipe video below:
- ½ to ¾ cup Jaggery
- 2 cups Water
- 1 tsp coarsely ground Black Pepper
- ¼ tsp Cardamom Powder
- Combine water and jaggery in a mixing bowl. Let the jaggery dissolve completely.
- Strain the jaggery water.
- Add coarsely ground black pepper and cardamom powder to it and mix well.
- Chill in the refrigerator for some time.
- Serve chilled.
Nutrition values are estimates only.