Cheruku Rasam Pongali or Karumbu Chaaru Pongal is a delicious, soft and mild South Indian style rice pudding made with rice, lentils, ghee and sugarcane juice. This pongal recipe is so quick to make and perfect for Makar Sankranti or Pongal festival.
Few More South Indian Recipes on the blog:
- Bellam Paramannam
- Paal Kozhukattai
- Poornam Boorelu
- Pesara Poornalu
- Nuvvula Laddu
- Ellu Kozhukattai
- Saggubiyyam Payasam
How to Make Sugarcane Juice Pongal Recipe Video Below:
How to Make Sugarcane juice pongal or Karumbu Chaaru Pongal recipe with step by step photos and video. Makar Sankranti Special Pongal Recipe
- 1/2 cup Raw Rice
- 1/4 cup Moong Dal
- 3 cups Sugarcane Juice
- 3-4 tbsp Ghee
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom Powder
- 8 Cashews
- 1 Raisins
- A pinch of Edible Camphor
Heat one teaspoon of ghee in a pan and roast the moong dal for 2- 3 minutes.
Combine the roasted moong dal, rinsed rice and sugar cane juice and pressure cook for 5-6 whistles.
Lightly mash the cooked rice mixture.
Add cardamom powder and edible camphor to it and combine well.
Heat remaining ghee in a pan. Add cashews and fry until light brown color.
When the cashews are lightly browned, add raisins and continue frying till they are browned.
Remove from the pan and pour over the prepared pongal.
Mix well and serve!
Do not use edible camphor more than a pinch.
Add a little sugar and cook for a while if you want to increase the sweetness.
Always use freshly squeezed sugarcane juice.
Karumbu Chaaru Pongal Recipe with Step by Step Photos:
- Heat one teaspoon of ghee in a heavy bottomed pan or pressure pan.
- Add measured moong dal to the ghee.
- Roast the moong dal for 2-3 minutes or until they are a light golden color and aromatic.
- Remove from the heat.
- Combine the roasted moong dal, washed rice and measured fresh sugarcane juice.
- Pressure cook it for 5-6 whistles are until soft.
- When the rice is still hot, lightly mash it with a spatula.
- Crush a pinch of edible camphor / pacha karpooram / pachai karpooram and add it to the mashed rice.
- And add cardamom powder to it.
- Combine well and keep it aside.
- Heat remaining ghee in a pan to fry the cashews.
- Add cashews and fry until they are a light brown color.
- Add raisins and continue frying till they are a golden brown color.
- Remove from the heat and pour it over the pongal.
- Mix until well combined and serve.