Ellu Kozhukattai or Til Modak or Nuvvu Poornam Kudumulu is an Indian steamed rice flour dumplings stuffed with sesame seed jaggery filling. These delicious dumplings or modaks can be served as a sweet snack along with coffee or tea. They are perfect to make during festivals such as Ganesh Chaturthi.
Few More Ganesh Chaturthi Recipes:
- Pala Undrallu
- Bellam Undrallu
- Ammini Kozhukattai
- Bellam Thalikalu
- Paal Kozhukattai
- Rava Modak
- Rava Kudumulu
- Ulundu Kozhukattai
- Fried Modak
- 70+ Ganesh Chaturthi Recipes
How to Make Ellu Kozhukattai Recipe Video below:
Ellu Kozhukattai Recipe or Sesame Modak Recipe
- ¼ cup Sesame Seeds
- ¼ cup Jaggery
- 2 tbsp Grated Fresh Coconut
- A big pinch of Cardamom Powder
For Outer Layer
- ½ cup Rice Flour
- ½ cup Water
- ½ tsp Ghee
- A pinch of Salt
- Dry roast the sesame seeds on a low – medium flame until golden color.
- Remove from the pan and let them cool completely.
- Grind the roasted sesame seeds into a coarse powder.
- Now add the powdered jaggery, coconut and cardamom powder to it and blend it again until combined.
- Divide the ground mixture into 10 small portions and set aside.
- Add water, salt and ghee in a saucepan. Bring the water to a rolling boil and turn off the flame.
- Take the rice flour in a mixing bowl and add the boiling water little by little. Mix it well with a spatula.
- Let it cool for 2 minutes. When it is still warm, knead it well to make a soft dough. The dough should be soft and slightly sticky.
- Divide the dough into round balls and keep them covered.
- Grease your hands with little oil or ghee and flatten the dough ball to form a disc.
- Place the sesame seeds stuffing in the center and bring the edges together to seal it.
- Place the prepared modaks on steaming plate or idli plate and steam cook them on a high flame for 10 – 12 minutes.
Sesame Modak Recipe with Step by Step Photos:
- Dry roast the raw sesame seeds on a low-medium flame until they are golden color.
- Take them out of the pan and let them cool completely.
- Once they are cool, transfer them to a blender or mixie jar and grind to a coarse powder.
- Add the powdered jaggery, coconut and cardamom powder to the ground sesame seeds and blend it again until combined.
- Divide the ground mixture into 10-11 equal balls and set them aside.
- Combine water, salt and ghee in a saucepan and bring it to a rolling boil. Remove from the flame.
- Add the boiling water to the rice flour little by little and mix with a spatula or spoon to make a soft dough.
- Let it cool down for 2 minutes and knead it well to make a soft and slightly sticky dough.
- Divide the dough into 10-11 equal size balls and keep them covered.
- Grease your hands and flatten each rice flour dough ball and place the sesame filling in the middle. Bring the edges together to seal it.
- Arrange them on a steamer or idli plate and steam cook for 10-12 minutes on a high flame.
- Remove from the steamer and serve!