Paramannam Recipe – An authentic Andhra sweet pudding made with rice, milk, jaggery, ghee, cardamom and nuts. An easy naivedyam or prasadam for festivals.
What is Paramannam?
Paramannam is a traditional sweet rice pudding from Andhra Pradesh, India. It is a simple sweet rice dish cooked in milk and traditionally made during festivals such as Navratri, Varalakshmi Vratham or Sankranthi. Cooking the paramannam as naivedyam or prasadam (offering to the god) is a tradition in most of the Andhra homes. There are many variations of making the authentic sweet pongal or paramannam where some people use a variety of grains, lentils, coconut milk or etc.
If you are looking for different sweet pongal recipes then check the below recipes
More Pongal Recipes on the blog:
- Cheruku Rasam Pongali
- Kobbari Pala Paramannam
- Millet Sweet Pongal
- Godhuma Rava Pongali
- Bellam Pongali
- Kobbari Pongali
- Chakra Pongali
Ingredients of Paramannam:
Rice: The main ingredient is rice that’s why it is also called “Annam Paramannam” which means rice paramannam. Jaggery: The pudding can be sweetened with jaggery or sugar. If we make it with jaggery, we call the dish “Bellam Paramannam”.
It can be served warm or cold. Can be served as a dessert or sweet snack as well.
How to Make Bellam Paramannam Recipe below:
Bellam Paramannam Recipe
- ½ cup Raw Rice
- 2 cups Milk
- 1 ½ cups Jaggery powdered
- ½ cup Water
- 2 pinches Cardamom Powder
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- 12 Cashews
- 10 Raisins
- Wash and drain the rice and set aside.
- In a deep and large vessel, bring milk to a boil
- Add the rinsed rice and reduce the flame.
- Cook until the rice is very soft. You can also pressure cook the rice for 4 whistles.
- Turn off the flame.
- Lightly mash the cooked rice and keep it aside.
- Combine the jaggery and water in a vessel and allow the jaggery to melt.
- Add the cardamom powder to the jaggery water and turn off the flame.
- Now add this jaggery syrup to the rice and mix very well.
- Melt ghee in a small pan. First, fry the cashews and then raisins to golden color.
- Pour this over the rice and jaggery mixture and combine well.
- Serve warm or cold.
Nutrition values are estimates only.