If you are searching for more Sambar Recipes then do check Drumstick Moong Dal Sambar, Kathirikai Sambar, Thotakura Sambar, Mango Sambar, Karamani Sambar and Radish Moong Dal Sambar.
South Indian Fenugreek Sambar Recipe Hari Chandana PIndianSide Dish
Prep Time: 5 mins | Cook time: 20 mins | Serves: 4
- 1 cup Fenugreek Leaves
- 1/4 cup Toor Dal
- 1 Tomato
- 1 Onion, large
- 2 tsp Sambar Powder
- 1 tbsp Grated Coconut (fresh or dry)
- 1/8 tsp Turmeric Powder
- Marble sized Tamarind Ball
- 1 - 2 tsp Jaggery, powdered
- Red Chilli Powder as needed
- 1 tsp Oil
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/8 tsp Hing
- 1 Red Chilli
- 2 tsp Oil
- Soak the tamarind in water for sometime. Squeeze and extract the juice from tamarind and set aside.
- Pressure cook the rinsed toor dal with turmeric and 1/2 cup of water for 3 whistles or until soft.
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in a pan and add the chopped onion and fenugreek leaves and saute for a few minutes.
- Then add the tomatoes and water to it. Cover and cook until the tomatoes are soft.
- Mash the cooked toor dal.
- Add the sambar, tamarind juice, salt, red chilli powder, mashed dal, jaggery and water (adjust to desired consistency). Let it boil well.
- Now add the coconut and boil for 2 minutes.
- Heat 2 tsp of oil in a pan for seasoning. Add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Add hing and red chilli and stir for a couple of seconds.
- Add this to the sambar and combine well.
- Serve hot with rice.
You might also like to check these recipes:
- Bread Rasmalai
- Banana Rose Milkshake
- Karivepaku Kobbari Pachadi
- Sorakaya Perugu Pachadi
- Godhuma Rava Payasam
- Boondi Raita
- Masala Pav
- Coconut Poha