Moong Dal Radish Sambar Recipe
- ¼ cup Moong Dal
- 1 Radish
- 1 Tomato
- 1 Onion
- 1.5 to 2 tbsp Sambar Powder
- Small lime sized ball of Tamarind
- 1 – 2 tsp Jaggery, powdered
- ½ tsp Mustard Seeds
- ½ tsp Cumin Seeds
- ⅛ tsp Hing
- 1 Dried Red Chilli
- A pinch of Turmeric Powder
- A few Curry Leaves
- 2 tsp Oil
- Salt to taste
- Soak the tamarind in water and squeeze well to extract the juice and set aside.
- Pressure cook the rinsed moong dal with water for 3 whistles. Mash the cooked dal and set aside.
- Add the onion pieces, tomato pieces, chopped / cubed radish and water in a vessel. COver with a lid and cook till the radish pieces are soft.
- Add the mashed dal, tamarind extract, salt, sambar powder, turmeric powder, jaggery and water (adjust to desired consistency) to the vegetables.
- Allow the sambar to boil for 8 – 10 minutes.
- If the sambar appears too thick, add little more water and simmer for a few minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan for seasoning. Add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Then add the curry leaves, red chilli and hing and fry for a couple of seconds. Add this to the sambar and mix.
- Serve hot with rice or idli / dosa.
Nutrition values are estimates only.
You might also like to check these recipes: