Drumstick Moong Dal Sambar Recipe
Hari Chandana P South Indian Main
Prep Time: 15 mins | Cook time: 15 mins | Serves: 4
- ¼ cup Moong Dal
- 1 large Tomato
- 1 Drumstick
- 1.5 tbsp – 2 tbsp Sambar Powder
- 1 – 2 tsp Jaggery, powdered
- Small lemon size ball Tamarind
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
- ½ tsp Mustard Seeds
- ½ tsp Cumin Seeds
- Red Chilli Powder as needed
- 2 Dried Red Chillies
- ⅛ tsp Hing
- A few Curry Leaves
- 2 tsp Oil
- Salt to taste
the tamarind in water and squeeze well
to extract the juice and set aside.
- Pressure cook the rinsed moong dal for
3 – 4 whistles. Mash the cooked dal and
- Wash and cut the drumstick into long pieces. Add the chopped tomato, drumstick pieces and water in a vessel. Cover with a lid and cook until drumstick pieces are tender.
- Add the mashed dal, tamarind extract, salt, red
chilli powder, jaggery, sambar powder and water (adjust to desired
consistency) to the cooked drumsticks.
- Allow the sambar to boil and thicken.
- Heat oil in a pan for seasoning. Add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Then add
the red chilli and hing and stir for a couple of seconds.
- Add this to
the sambar and combine well.
- Serve with rice, ven pongal, idli,
dosa, vada or even idiyappam.
You might also like to check these recipes: