Menthi Kura Pappu Recipe – Andhra style Dal made with lentils, fresh fenugreek leaves and spices. This dal is so comforting and perfect for rice or roti.
Few More Dal Recipes on the blog:
- Sabut Masoor Dal
- Chintakaya Pappu
- Boodida Gummadikaya Pappu
- Lachko Dal
- Moong Dal Tadka
- Khatti Meethi Dal
- Gongura Pappu
How to Make Andhra Menthi Kura Pappu Recipe:
Menthi Kura Pappu Recipe - South Indian Style Methi Dal Recipe
- ½ cup Toor Dal
- 1 ½ cup Fenugreek Leaves
- 2 - 3 units Green Chillies
- 1 Onion large
- ½ tsp Mustard Seeds
- ½ tsp Chana Dal
- ½ tsp Urad Dal
- ¼ tsp Cumin Seeds
- ⅛ tsp Hing
- Gooseberry size Tamarind ball
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
- Red Chilli Powder as needed
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp Oil
- Put the rinsed toor dal, turmeric powder and 1 cup of water in a pressure cooker and cook for 3 – 4 whistles.
- Soak the tamarind in water for 10 minutes and squeeze the extract out of it. Keep it aside.
- Wash the fenugreek leaves and chop them roughly or finely. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds, chana dal, urad dal and cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Add the slit green chillies, broken red chilli and hing and fry for a couple of seconds.
- Then add cubed onion and fry until light brown color.
- Add the chopped fenugreek leaves and saute for 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle little water and cover with a lid.
- Let it cook completely.
- Add cooked toor dal, tamarind extract. salt, red chilli powder and little water and mix.
- Let it cook for 5 – 7 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and serve hot with rice or roti.
Nutrition values are estimates only.