Ammini Kozhukattai Recipe – Steamed Rice Flour Balls seasoned with coconut and spices.
Ammini Kozhukattai or Mani Kozhukattai is a traditional South Indian dish that usually made during Ganesh Chaturthi festival. These tiny kozhukattais are so easy to make and can be served as a snack or naivedyam during festivals. This dish is also known as undralla guggillu or kozhukkatai sundal. There are a few variations of making this and today’s one is the easier one with fresh coconut and spices.
Few More Ganesh Chaturthi Prasadam Recipes
- Rava Modak
- Sweet Undrallu
- Ulundu Kozhukattai
- Peanut Modak
- Rava Kudumulu
- Godhuma Rava Undrallu
- Dry Fruit Fried Modak
- Rava Payasam
How to Make Ammini Kozhukattai Recipe Video below:
Ammini Kozhukattai Recipe - Mani Kozhukattai Recipe
How to Make South Indian Ammini Kozhukattai Recipe with step by step photos and video. Ganesh Chaturthi Special Recipe
- ½ cup Rice Flour
- ½ cup water or as needed
- 2 - 3 Grated fresh coconut
- ½ tsp Mustard Seeds
- ¼ tsp Urad Dal
- A big pinch of Hing
- A pinch of Turmeric powder
- 2 tsp Oil
- 2 dried red chillies
- Few Curry Leaves
- Salt to taste
- Add water, salt and a teaspoon of oil in a saucepan. Bring water to a rolling boil and turn off the flame.
- Take the rice flour in a wide mixing bowl. Add the boiling water little by little to the flour and mix it well with a spatula / wooden spoon. Combine well to make a smooth dough.
- Let it cool for 2 – 3 minutes. When it is still warm knead it well.
- The dough should be soft and slightly sticky.
- Grease your hands with oil and divide the dough into small sized round balls.
- Steam cook the dough balls in greased idli plates for 8-10 minutes. Keep them aside.
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds and urad dal and let them splutter.
- Add the curry leaves, broken red chillies and hing to it and stir for a couple of seconds.
- Add the steamed balls, turmeric and coconut to it and mix well. Adjust the salt.
- Fry for 1 – 2 minutes and turn off the flame.
- Serve warm.
Calories: 351kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Sodium: 12mg | Potassium: 190mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 130IU | Vitamin C: 1.5mg | Calcium: 6mg | Iron: 1.2mg
Ammini Kozhukattai Recipe with Step by Step Photos:
- Combine water, salt and one teaspoon of oil in a vessel and bring it to a rolling boil.
- Turn off the flame and keep it aside.
- Take the rice flour in a wide mixing bowl and add the boiling water little by little to the flour.
- Combine everything with a spatula and make a smooth dough.
- Let the dough cool a bit before you knead.
- When the dough is still warm, knead it well with greased hands.
- Grease your hands with a little oil and divide the dough into small round balls.
- Keep them covered and set aside.
- Transfer the rolled dough balls to greased idli plates or steamer plates.
- Steam cook the dough balls for about 8-10 minutes over a high flame.
- When they are steamed, remove from the flame and keep aside.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a pan for seasoning and add the mustard seeds and urad dal.
- When they are browned, add curry leaves, broken red chillies and hing to it and saute for a couple of seconds.
- Add the steamed rice balls, turmeric powder and coconut to the seasoned ingredients. Adjust salt.
- Mix everything well and saute for a min or two.
- Remove from the flame and serve hot or warm!