Godhuma Rava Undrallu – Super easy, healthy and traditional recipe for Ganesh Chaturthi!
What are Godhuma Undrallu?
Undrallu are traditional steamed dumplings from Andhra Pradesh and usually made during Ganesh Chaturthi or Vinayakaya Chavithi Festival. Traditionally, undrallu made with rice rava or broken rice but I have replaced the rice rava with wheat rava or broken wheat to prepare Godhuma Undrallu.
How many types are Undrallu are there?
There are a different kind of authentic and innovative undrallu recipes that are usually prepared and offered as naivedyam to Lord Ganesh or Vinayaka on Ganesh Chaturthi festival. We make both sweet and savory varieties of undrallu. Check the below recipes to know more:
- Uppu Undrallu
- Pala Undrallu
- Bellam Undrallu
- Kobbari Pala Undrallu
- Sweet Wheat Undrallu
- Pappulo Undrallu
- Undralla Guggillu
How to Serve Undrallu?
They taste great with sambar, ginger chutney or any other chutney.
Can I make Undrallu without steaming?
No, you can not make them without steaming. Steaming helps the dumplings hold their shape and will give them a good texture.
How to prevent them from breaking?
To prevent wheat undrallu from breaking, avoid over-cooking and over-steaming and use the right amount of water to cook the wheat rava or godhuma rava. And tightly roll the cooked mixture into round balls before steaming.
Few More Ganesh Chaturthi Naivedyam Recipes:
- Peanut Modak
- Bellam Thalikalu
- Rava Modak
- Ulundu Kozhukattai
- Rava Kudumulu
- Poornam Kudumulu
How to Make Godhuma Rava Undrallu Recipe Video below:
Godhuma Rava Undrallu Recipe
- 1/2 cup Wheat Rava
- 1.5 cups Water
- 1 tbsp Chana Dal
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Ghee
- Soak the chana dal in water for 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat a teaspoon of ghee in a heavy-bottomed vessel. Add the cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Add the soaked chana dal and fry for a minute.
- Now add water and let it come to a boil.
- Once it comes to a boil, add the wheat rava and salt. Mix well and cover it
with a lid. Reduce the flame and let it cook completely.
- Switch off the flame and leave it aside to cool down a bit.
- Grease your hands and take a small portion out of the mixture.
- Shape into round shape balls. Arrange them on a greased steamer plates or idli plates.
- Steam cook them on a high flame for 10 minutes.
- Switch off the flame and let them cool.
- Serve with chutney or sambar.
Wheat Rava Undrallu Recipe with Step by Step Photos:
- Soak one tablespoon of chana dal in water for 30 minutes.
- Drain water and set aside.
- Heat a teaspoon of ghee in a heavy-bottomed pan or vessel and add cumin seeds to it.
- Let the cumin seeds splutter.
- Add the soaked and drained chana dal to the ghee and saute for a minute.
- Now add 1.5 cups of water to it and bring it to a rolling boil.
- When it comes to a rolling boil, reduce the flame to low.
- Add 1/2 cup of wheat rava or godhuma rava to the boiling water.
- Add salt and mix.
- Cover the pan with a lid and let it cook completely.
- Remove from the flame and let the cooked mixture cool down a bit.
- Grease your hands and take a small portion of mixture.
- Roll it tightly to shape into round balls.
- Place the shapped balls on a steamer plate or idli plate and steam cook for 10 minutes over a high flame.
- Turn off the heat and let them cool down a bit.
- Serve with sambar or chutney.