Few More Vinayaka Chaviti Naivedyam Recipes:
- Rava Kudumulu
- Bellam Kudumulu
- Poornam Kudumulu
- Pala Undrallu
- Pal Kozhukattai
- Sesame Modak
- Bellam Thalikalu
- Sweet Undrallu
- Ammini Kozhukattai
- 70+ Ganesh Chaturthi Recipes
Frequently Asked Questions about Undrallu Recipe:
Can I make Undrallu without steaming?
No, steaming helps the dumplings hold their shape and will give them a good texture.
How to replace rice rava in this recipe?
You can use Wheat Rava or Broken Wheat instead of rice rava. Check the Godhuma Undrallu Recipe if you need the recipe.
How to Serve Uppu Undrallu?
They taste great with ginger chutney and ghee. You can also serve with sambar or any chutney.
Can I use store-bought rice rava?
Yes, you can. But use homemade rava for best results. If you want to make your own rava, see the recipe notes.
How to prevent them from breaking?
To prevent undrallu from breaking, avoid over-cooking and over-steaming and use the right amount of water to cook the rava. And tightly roll the cooked mixture into round balls before steaming.
How to Make Undrallu Recipe Video Below:
Uppu Undrallu Recipe - Rice Rava Undrallu Recipe
- ½ cup Rice Rava / Broken Raw Rice see notes
- 1.5 cups Water
- 1 tbsp Chana Dal
- 1 tsp Ghee
- ½ tsp Cumin Seeds
- Salt to taste
- Soak the chana dal in water for 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat a teaspoon of ghee in a heavy bottomed pan. Add the cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Add the soaked chana dal and fry for a minute.
- Now add water (1 and ½ cups) and let it come to a boil.
- Add rice rava and salt to it and mix well.
- Cover it with a lid and let it cook completely on a low flame.
- Turn off the flame and leave it aside to cool down a bit.
- Grease your hands and take a small portion out of the mixture.
- Shape it into round shape ball. Arrange them on a greased idli plate or steamer plate.
- Steam cook them on a high flame for 10 minutes.
- Switch off the flame and let them cool.
- Serve with chutney or sambar.
How to Make Rice Rava Undrallu Recipe with Step by Step Photos:
- Wash and soak the chana dal in water for 30 minutes. If you are in a hurry, soak them in hot water for 15 minutes.
- When they are soaked, drain water and set aside.
- Heat a teaspoon of ghee in a heavy bottomed pan. If you are vegan, use coconut oil instead of ghee.
- Add the cumin seeds to the pan and let them splutter.
- When the cumin seeds are browned, add the soaked and drained chana dal and saute for a minute.
- Now add water to the sauteed ingredients and bring it to a rolling boil on a high flame. The rice rava and water ratio should be 1:3.
- Now reduce the flame to low and add the salt and rice rava to the boiling water.
- Combine well.
- Cover the pan with a lid and let it cook completely on a low flame.
- Keep stirring occasionally.
- When the rice rava gets cooked completely, remove from the flame and let it cool down a bit.
- Grease your hands with a little ghee or oil and take a small portion out of the cooked mixture.
- Tightly roll the mixture into a round ball and place on a greased idli plate or steamer plate.
- Steam cook the rolled dumplings for 10 minutes on a high flame.
- Turn off the flame and let them cool.
- Serve with chutney or sambar.
You might also like to check these recipes: