Chocolate Kiss Snowball Cookies – These classic snowball cookies are rich, buttery, delicate, delicious and have a chocolate surprise inside. A perfect Christmas cookie recipe that everyone will love!
What are chocolate kiss snowballs?
Snowball are one of the traditional and popular Christmas cookies. They are tiny shortbread cookie balls rolled in powdered sugar, which gives them a white, snow-like appearance.
These are so rich, addictive and they just melt in your mouth. Snowballs are also known as Mexican Wedding Cookies, Italian Wedding Cookies and Russian Tea Cakes.
There are many variations of snowball cookies, and chocolate kiss snowballs are one among them all. They are nothing but the classic snowballs stuffed with Hershey kisses.
Why you’ll love this recipe:
So easy and fun to make!
These look fancy with a secret chocolate kiss inside the cookie!
Perfect for any occasion!
A great addition to your cookie tray!
Chocolate Kisses – I have used Hershey’s chocolate kisses in this recipe. If you don’t have them handy, you can also use a piece of semi sweet chocolate.
Unsalted Butter – Skip salt if you are using salted butter.
Flour – I have used all-purpose flour to make these cookies. I haven’t tried any other flours yet.
Vanilla – You could also use a good quality almond extract.
You can swap vanilla with almond extract for a flavor variation.
You could also add ¼ cup of finely chopped nuts such as walnuts, pecans and almonds to the dough.
To make them more chocolatey, add some cocoa powder to the cookie dough.
You can store the unbaked stuffed cookie balls in the refrigerator for 4-5 days. If you want to store them longer, freeze them for about 2 months.
You can store the baked ones in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.
Can the baked snowballs be frozen?
Absolutely, once the cookies are baked and rolled in powdered sugar, arrange them in an airtight container and separate the layers with parchment papers. You can freeze them for up to 2 months. Let them thaw at room temperature and roll them in some powdered sugar again before serving.
Can I double this recipe?
Yes! this hershey kiss snowballs recipe can be doubled easily. No preparation changes needed.
Tips & Notes:
Follow the exact measurements to make them perfect.
Make sure the dough is firm and chilled when you bake.
Be careful not to overbake them.
You will need to roll the baked ones in powdered sugar when they are still warm.
Once they are cool, roll them again in powdered sugar if needed.
If you want to make super white snowball cookies, roll them twice in powdered sugar.
Step by step instructions:
Take a mixing bowl, add softened butter and powdered sugar. Mix everything well until smooth and creamy using a spatula or whisk.
Add salt and vanilla and mix well.
Add measured flour to the creamed butter and mix well to make a smooth dough.
Take a tablespoon of dough and shape into round balls. You will be able to make 9-10 dough balls.
Flatten the dough ball and place a chocolate kiss in the middle.
Gather the edges together to seal it properly. Roll them into round balls.
Arrange the rolled cookie balls on a lined baking tray and let them chill in the refrigerator for an hour or until the dough is firm.
When they are firm, remove them from the fridge and place the tray in the preheated oven.
Let them bake for about 15-18 minutes or until the bottom of cookies is slightly browned at 180 degrees C.
Once they are baked, take them out of the oven and allow them to cool down a bit.
When the baked cookies are still warm, roll them in powdered sugar.
Arrange them on a wire rack and let them cool completely.
Roll them twice in powdered sugar if needed. Serve & enjoy!
Few more Christmas recipes:
- Nutella Sandwich Cookies
- Chocolate Snowballs
- Fruitcake Cookies
- Swedish Chocolate Balls
- Goan Kulkuls
- Orange Tutti Frutti Cake
- Cherry Almond Cake
- Italian Sesame Cookies
Chocolate kiss snowball cookies recipe video below:
Chocolate Kiss Snowball Cookies Recipe
- ¼ Cup Unsalted Butter Softened
- ⅛ Cup Powdered Sugar for the dough
- ⅛ Teaspoon Salt
- ¼ Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ½ Cup Plain Flour / All-Purpose Flour
- ⅓ Cup Powdered Sugar To coat the baked cookies
- 9-10 Hershey Chocolate Kisses
- Combine unsalted butter, and powdered sugar in a bowl and mix well until it is smooth. Add salt and vanilla and combine it well.
- Add flour to the butter mixture and mix everything to make a dough.
- Divide the dough into 9-10 small round balls.
- Flatten each ball a bit and stuff it with a hershey chocolate kiss.
- Gather the edges and seal it properly.
- Roll it into a smooth round ball.
- Arrange stuffed cookie dough on a lined baking tray and let them chill in the refrigerator for an hour or until they become firm.
- Once they are chilled, bake them in the preheated oven for 15-18 minutes at 180 degrees C.
- When the bottom of cookies is lightly browned, remove them from the oven and let them cool down a bit.
- While cookies are still warm, roll them in powdered sugar.
- Transfer them to a wire rack and let them cool completely. Roll them twice in powdered sugar if needed.
- Store in an airtight container. If you want, sprinkle the top of the cookies with more powdered sugar before serving.
Nutrition values are estimates only.