Chocolate Snowball Cookies or Russian Tea Cakes Recipe – Rich, buttery, delicate and delicious chocolate shortbread cookies that melt in your mouth. These are perfect for the holidays!
What are Chocolate Snowballs?
Chocolate snowballs are another variation of traditional Snowball Cookies. These are one of the traditional and popular Christmas cookies or holiday cookies made with flour, sugar and butter. There are many variations and chocolate snowball cookies are one of them.
Snowballs are also known as Mexican Wedding Cookies, Italian Wedding Cookies and Russian Tea Cakes.
They are tiny shortbread cookie balls rolled in powdered sugar when they are still warm. The cookies are so rich, addictive and they just melt in your mouth.
These simple little Mexican Wedding Cookies can also be made with almonds, pecans, walnuts, chocolate chips, lemon or pistachios. Add any of your favorite nuts to the dough to give them a crunch.
How long can you store the unbaked cookie dough?
You can store the dough in the refrigerator for 4-5 days. If you want to store it longer, freeze it for about 2 months.
How long can you store baked cookies?
You can store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.
Can you freeze them?
Yes, they freeze extremely well. Once the cookies are baked and rolled in powdered sugar, arrange them in an airtight container and separate the layers with parchment papers. You can freeze them for up to 2 months. Let them thaw at room temperature and roll them in some powdered sugar again before serving.
- Follow the exact measurements to make them perfect.
- Make sure the dough is firm and chilled when you bake.
- Shape the dough into 1-inch size balls to bake them evenly.
- Be careful not to overbake the cookies.
- You will need to roll the baked cookies in powdered sugar when they are still warm.
- Once they are cool, roll them again in powdered sugar if needed.
- If you want to make super white snowball cookies, roll them twice in powdered sugar.
Step by step instructions:
Combine the flours, cocoa powder and salt in a mixing bowl.
Mix everything well and keep it aside until use.
In a mixing bowl. add unsalted butter and powdered sugar. Beat/whisk until it is creamy and smooth.
Add vanilla essence and mix until it is well combined.
Add the flour-cocoa powder mixture to the butter mixture and mix well with a spatula until incorporated.
Lightly knead the mixture to make a soft dough.
Wrap the dough with a cling film and refrigerate for an hour or until it becomes firm.
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
Line a baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
Remove the chilled dough from the refrigerator.
Roll the dough into 1 inch small balls and place them on the lined baking tray.
Bake them immediately in the preheated oven for 15 – 18 minutes at 180 degrees C.
Once they are baked, remove them from the oven and let them cool for about 3 – 5 minutes.
While cookies are still warm, roll them in powdered sugar.
Arrange them on a wire rack and let them cool completely.
Roll them twice in powdered sugar if needed. Store in an airtight container.
More eggless cookie recipes on the blog:
- Italian Biscotti Regina
- Nutella Sandwich Cookies
- Wheat Coconut Cookies
- Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Christmas Fruitcake Cookies
How to make chocolate snowball cookies recipe video below
Chocolate Snowball Cookies Recipe
- ¾ Cup Flour
- 2 Tablespoon Corn Flour
- 2 Tablespoon Cocoa Powder
- ¼ Teaspoon Salt
- ½ Cup Unsalted Butter
- ¼ Cup Powdered Sugar for the dough
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Essence
- ¼ Cup Powdered Sugar To coat the baked cookies
- In a mixing bowl, combine both flours, cocoa powder and salt. Mix well and keep it aside.
- Combine the unsalted butter, and powdered sugar in a bowl and mix well until it is smooth. Add the vanilla essence and combine it well.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and combine until everything is combined.
- Make a dough and wrap it with cling film.
- Refrigerate the dough for an hour or until it becomes firm.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Remove the chilled dough from the refrigerator.
- Roll the dough into 1 inch small balls and place them on a greased or lined baking tray.
- Bake the cookies in the preheated oven for 15 – 18 minutes at 180 degrees C.
- Remove from the oven and cool for about 3 – 5 minutes.
- While cookies are still warm, roll them in powdered sugar.
- Transfer them to a wire rack and let them cool completely. Roll them twice in powdered sugar if needed.
- Store in an airtight container. If you want, sprinkle the top of the cookies with more powdered sugar before serving.
Nutrition values are estimates only.
Is corn flour the same is Corn Starch ?
Hari Chandana Ponnaluri says
Yes! both are the same!