Biscotti Regina or Sicilian Reginelle Biscuits – Crispy and delicious Italian sesame seed coated cookies. They are incredibly great with coffee or tea.
What is Biscotti Regina?
Biscotti Regina or Biscotti Di Regina is a traditional Italian cookie coated with sesame seeds. They are typical of Sicilian Cuisine and are available in the bakeries and supermarkets during Christmas time. They are also known as Italian Sesame Cookies and Reginelle Biscuits.
Ingredients for Sicilian Sesame Cookies:
This simple cookie recipe doesn’t require any fancy ingredients. You just need these easily available ingredients.
Plain Flour or All-Purpose Flour
White Sesame Seeds
Do you need eggs for Biscotti Regina?
Traditionally, they use eggs to make regina cookies. But I have substituted the eggs with milk. So you can make these cookies without eggs.
What to pair with Italian Sesame Cookies?
They are usually made during Christmas but you can make and enjoy them any time of the year. Traditionally, they are enjoyed with traditional Italian wines, but you can serve them with tea or coffee.
Few more cookie recipes on the blog:
- Banana Oatmeal Cookies
- Nutella Sandwich Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Crescent Cookies
- Hyderabadi Fine Biscuits
- Wheat Oat Almond Cookies
- Mexican Wedding Cookies
- Wheat Coconut Cookies
- Jowar Chocolate Peanut Cookies
Italian Sesame Cookies recipe with step by step photos:
- Heat a skillet or pan and roast the sesame seeds on a low flame until they are lightly browned.
- Remove from the heat and let them cool completely.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside till use.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix together the flour, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
- Take unsalted butter and sugar to a mixing bowl and mix together well using a spatula or whisk until creamy and fluffy.
- Add vanilla essence and combine it.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix well until incorporated.
- Rub the muxture well using your hands.
- Sprinkle milk little by little and knead to a soft dough.
- Shape the dough into 25 small 2″ long cookies.
- Dip each cookie in the roasted sesame seeds and roll them well to coat them evenly.
- Arrange the sesame coated cookies on the lined baking tray.
- Immedietely bake them in the preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes at 180 degrees C.
- When the bottom of the cookies are browned, remove them from the oven and let them cool.
- Once they are cooled, store them in an airtight container and serve them with coffee or tea.
More sesame recipes on the blog:
- Til Khoya Laddu
- Sesame Peanut Laddu
- Nuvvula Laddu
- Ellu Kozhukattai
- Nuvvula Appalu
- Potlakaya Nuvvula Pachadi
How to make biscotti di regina recipe with video below:
Italian Sesame Cookies Recipe
- ½ cup Sesame Seeds
- 1 cup Plain Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- ⅛ tsp Salt
- ¼ cup Unsalted Butter Softened
- ¼ cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 4 tbsp Milk (approx.)
- Dry roast the sesame seeds until they are a light brown color. Let them cool and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and keep it aside.
- Combine the flour, salt and baking powder and keep it aside.
- Whisk butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and combine well.
- Add milk little by little and make a soft dough.
- Divide the dough into 25 small 2" long cookies and roll them in the toasted sesame seeds.
- Place them on the lined baking sheet spacing about 1 inch apart.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes or until the bottoms are browned.
- Let them cool completely and store in an airtight container.
Nutrition values are estimates only.