Tindora Pulusu Recipe – Andhra style stew using ivy gourd, tamarind, onion, tomato and spices. So yum with rice.
Dondakaya Pulusu is a simple Andhra style tangy stew made with ivy gourd or tindora. Pulusu is an Andhra style stew, similar to sambar but without lentils and spice blend. It tastes awesome with hot steamed rice and some papads. We usually make curries or kooralu using tondora such as Gutti Dondakaya Ulli Karam, and Dondakaya Kobbari Karam. This is something different from the tindora recipes that I have posted already.
If you are looking for more pulusu recipes then do check the below recipes.
More recipes like this:
How to Make Dondakaya Pulusu Recipe below:
Dondakaya Pulusu Recipe
- 1 cup Ivy Gourd chopped
- 1 medium-sized Onion
- 1 medium-sized Tomato
- Tamarind marble sized ball
- ½ to 1 tbsp Jaggery
- 1 tsp Rice Flour
- 1 Green Chilli
- ½ tsp Mustard seeds
- ¼ tsp Cumin Seeds
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
- A big pinch of Fenugreek Seeds
- A pinch of Hing
- Red Chilli Powder as needed
- A few Curry Leaves
- 2 tsp Oil
- Salt to taste
- Soak the tamarind in water for 10 minutes. Extract the juice and set aside.
- Peel and chop the onion into small pieces and set aside.
- Heat oil in a vessel and add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds and fenugreek seeds and let them splutter.
- Then add hing, curry leaves, chopped onion and slit green chilli to it and fry until they are translucent.
- Add chopped ivy gourd and turmeric and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Now add little water, cover the vessel and cook till the pieces are half cooked.
- Then add the chopped tomato and let it cook completely. Add a little more water if needed.
- When they are soft, add the tamarind extract, salt, jaggery, red chilli powder and water (adjust to desired consistency).
- Dilute the rice flour in little water and add it to the ivy gourd mixture.
- Combine and let it boil for 8 – 10 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and serve hot with rice.
Nutrition values are estimates only.