Mamidikaya Pulihora / Mango Rice / Mangai Sadam Recipe – A quick, delicious and traditional rice dish made with raw mango, rice and spices.
Pulihora is an authentic Andhra style sour and spicy rice dish. Traditionally, we have many types of pulihoras and use different main ingredients such as tamarind or lemon to give the sourness to the dish. Today’s recipe is another traditional Andhra pulihora with Raw Mango.
Mango Rice or Mamidikaya Pulihora is a traditional South Indian dish and we often make this in summer when the green mangoes are in the season. Mango rice is super quick to make and perfect for a breakfast or lunch box.
Few Tips to Make the Best Mango Rice:
- Always use the sour and firm green mango to prepare mangai sadam or mango rice.
- Do not use the ripe mango.
- The quantity of the mango depends on the sourness. Adjust the measurement accordingly.
- Always spread the cooked rice on a wide plate to separate the grains.
- Do not skip adding hing / Asafoetida. It will give the great flavor the dish.
Raw Mango Rice Recipe with Step by Step Photos:
- Wash one cup of rice with plenty of water and drain.
- Transfer the washed rice to a vessel or pressure cook.
- Add two cups of water to the rinsed rice and pressure cook for 3 whistles. You can also cook rice without a pressure cooker.
- When the cooked rice is still hot, spread it on a wide plate to cool completely.
- Heat oil in a pan. When the oil is hot, add mustard seeds, urad dal, chana dal and peanut. Fry until light brown color.
- When they are golden brown, add cashews, slit green chillies and dried red chillies to it and fry for a few seconds.
- Add curry leaves and hing and continue frying for another few seconds.
- Now add the measured raw mango and turmeric to the seasoned ingredients.
- Combine and saute for 2 minutes. No need to cook more than 2 minutes.
- Turn off the flame.
- Add the cooked rice and salt to the mango mixture.
- Mix everything together until well combined.
Few More South Indian Rice Recipes:
- Kothimeera Nimmakaya Pulihora
- Nimmakaya Pulihora
- Lemon Coconut Rice
- Chintapandu Pulihora
- Chintakaya Pulihora
- Carrot Lemon Rice
- Tomato Rice
- Pindi Pulihora
- Aava Pettina Pulihora
How to Make Mamidikaya Pulihora Recipe Video below:
Mamidikaya Pulihora - Raw Mango Rice Recipe
- 1 cup Rice
- ½ cup Grated Raw Mango
- 3 tbsp Oil
- 2 tbsp Peanuts
- 6 units Cashews
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 2 tsp Chana Dal
- 1 tsp Urad Dal
- 3 units Green Chillies
- 2 units Dry Red Chillies
- 1 Sprig Curry Leaves
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- ⅛ tsp Hing
- Salt to taste
- Wash and pressure cook the rice with 2 cups of water for 3 whistles.
- Spread the cooked on a wide plate and let it cool completely.
- Wash, peel and grate the raw mango and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, chana dal, urad dal and peanuts. Fry until light brown color.
- Now add cashews, slit green chillies and red chillies. Saute for a few seconds.
- Then add curry leaves and hing and continue frying for a few seconds.
- Add the measured grated raw mango to the pan and mix.
- Keep stirring for 2 minutes and turn off the flame.
- Add the cooked rice to the pan and mix everything until well combined.
Nutrition values are estimates only.