Ava Pettina Pulihora / Mustard Flavored Tamarind Rice Recipe
Hari Chandana PIndian, South IndianMain
Prep Time: 10 mins | Cook time: 20 mins | Serves: 4
- 1 cup Raw Rice
- 2 cups water
- Big lemon sized ball Tamarind
- 2 – 3 Green Chillies
- 4 Dried Red Chillies
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tbsp Chana Dal
- 1 tbsp Urad Dal
- 3 tbsp Peanuts
- 1/2 tsp Powdered Jaggery (optional)
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/8 tsp Hing
- 2 sprigs Curry Leaves
- 3 – 4 tbsp Oil
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- Pressure cook the rinsed rice with 2 cups of water for 3 whistles.
- Soak the tamarind in water for 10 – 15 minutes and squeeze the extract out of it. Keep it aside.
- Spread the cooked rice on a wide plate and let it cool completely.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds, chana dal, urad dal and peanuts. Fry them until golden brown color.
- Add the slit green chillies, red chillies, curry leaves and hing and fry for a few seconds.
- Add the tamarind extract, jaggery and turmeric powder to it and mix well.
- Cook the mixture until the oil gets separates. Turn off the flame.
- Add this cooked mixture and salt to the rice and combine everything.
- Soak the mustard seeds in little water for 10 minutes.
- Grind the soaked mustard seeds to a paste using mortal and pestle.
- Don’t make this mustard paste in advance.
- Add this paste to the prepared rice mixture and combine well.
- Serve and enjoy!
You might also like to check these Traditional Andhra Recipes: