Paneer Puff Recipe – Easy and delicious Indian bakery-style snack or savory turnovers with a flaky outer layer and flavorful paneer (Indian cottage cheese) filling. Makes a great snack for tea-time!
What is paneer puff?
Paneer Puff is a popular and delicious Indian bakery-style savory snack made with puff pastry sheets and paneer (Indian cottage cheese). It has a flaky outer layer and flavorful paneer filling.
There are other classic variations of puff fillings such as vegetable filling and egg filling.
These puffs are very popular and available at most bakeries in India. Paneer puffs can be easily made at home using store-bought or homemade puff pastry sheets.
Why we love this recipe
Very quick and easy to make using store-bought puff pastry sheets!
It’s a perfect tea-time snack for evening and parties.
Can be made with fewer ingredients.
Puff Pastry Sheets: I have used store-bought sheets, you can use homemade ones too.
Paneer: I have used cubed paneer in this recipe. If you don’t want it to be chunky, crumble the paneer. You can use homemade or store-bought paneer.
Spices: You can use whatever you have handy. If you don’t have the mentioned spices, replace them with some garam masala.
Ginger-garlic paste: Substitute it with finely chopped ginger and garlic cloves. Garlic powder can also be used.
Are these puffs vegan?
No, these are not vegan. To make them vegan, swap paneer with tofu and skip brushing the puffs with milk.
Serve them hot or warm with ketchup or green chutney.
They taste great with a cup of chai or coffee.
Consume the baked puffs within a day.
If you want to store them for longer, refrigerate the filled and unbacked puffs for up to 2 days. Remove them from the fridge whenever you want to bake them.
Step by step instructions:
Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds and let them sizzle for few seconds.
Add finely chopped green chilli and sliced onions to the pan and keep stirring until onions are translucent.
Add ginger-garlic paste and stir for a minute.
Now add chopped tomato, salt, cumin powder, turmeric powder and coriander powder.
Mix well and let it cook until tomatoes are mushy.
Cut the paneer block into small pieces and add them to the tomato-onion mixture.
Mix everything until well coated.
You can add some finely chopped cilantro at this stage.
Turn off the flame and let it cool completely.
Cut the thawed puff pastry into rectangles and fill each rectangle with a spoonful of prepared paneer filling.
Apply little water around the edges using your finger.
Fold and press the edges. Press the edges of the pastry sheet with a fork to seal them completely.
Transfer them to a lined baking tray and brush the stuffed puffs with little milk to get a beautiful brown color.
Pop them in the preheated oven and bake at 200 degrees C for 20-25 minutes or until they are golden brown.
Few more Indian snack recipes:
How to make paneer puff recipe video below:
Paneer Puff Recipe
- 1.5 Tablespoons Oil
- ½ Teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1 Green Chilli finely chopped
- 1 Cup Sliced Onion
- ½ Teaspoon Ginger Garlic Paste
- ¼ Cup Chopped Tomato
- ⅛ Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Cumin Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Coriander Powder
- Salt to taste
- 100 Grams Paneer (Indian Cottage Cheese) (or ½ cups of small paneer cubes)
- 2 Tablespoons Milk (for brushing)
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds. Let them sizzle.
- Add finely chopped green chilli and sliced onions to the pan and keep stirring until onions are translucent.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and stir for a minute.
- Now add chopped tomato, salt, cumin powder, turmeric powder and coriander powder.
- Mix well and let it cook until tomatoes are mushy.
- Add cubed paneer to the tomato-onion mixture and mix well.
- Turn off the flame and let it cool completely.
- Fill the thawed puff pastry piece with a spoonful of prepared paneer filling.
- Apply little water around the edges using your finger.
- Fold and press the edges. Press the edges of the pastry sheet with a fork to seal them completely.
- Transfer them to a lined baking tray and brush them with little milk.
- Bake in the preheated oven and bake at 200 degrees C for 20-25 minutes or until they are golden brown.
Nutrition values are estimates only.