Pasta e Piselli Recipe – Classic and quick Italian pasta dish with green peas, onion and parsley.
What is Pasta e Piselli?
Pasta e Piselli is a simple and comforting Italian pasta dish with green peas (Piselli in Italian). It is one of the authentic and quick Italian recipes that can be done in a flash.
This recipe doesn’t require garlic, tomatoes and any fancy ingredients. All you need is some pasta, peas, onions and olive oil.
Pasta: You can use any kind of short pasta in this dish.
Green Peas: Use fresh green peas when they are in season for the better taste and flavor. However, it can be made with frozen green peas as well.
Onion: White onion, yellow onion, shallots or spring onions can be used.
Parsley: It gives a lovely flavor to the dish. You can skip them if you don’t have them in hand.
Cheese: Top the dish with parmigiano, parmesan or any powdered cheese before serving
Olive Oil: Use a good quality extra virgin olive oil. Do not replace it with any other oils.
Step by step preparation:
- Bring water to a boil along with salt in a big pot.
- Add any short pasta such as Ditalini, Shells or Anelli. I have used Anelli here.
- Cook it according to the package directions or until al dense.
- Once it is done, reserve a few ladles of pasta cooked water for later use.
- Drain it completely and keep it aside.
- Heat extra virgin olive oil in a skillet or heavy-bottomed pan.
- Add chopped onions and saute them for 4-5 minutes or until they are transparent.
- Add thawed green peas to the pan and saute for about minute.
- Season with salt and ground pepper and mix well.
- Now add a ladle full of the reserved water to the pan.
- Cover and cook until the peas are soft and cooked.
- Add chopped parsley leaves and saute for another minute.
- Finally, add the cooked pasta and combine everything together well.
- Adjust salt at this stage.
- If you prefer soupy consistency, add more pasta cooked water.
- Serve hot with some powdered cheese on top.
You might love these recipes:
- Chinese Vegetable Lo Mein
- Beet Green Spaghetti
- Tomato Rice
- Italian Sesame Cookies
- Yogurt Apple Salad
- Raspberry Chia Jam
- Persimmon Pineapple Salsa
- British Raspberry Fool
How to make Pasta e Piselli recipe video below:
Pasta e Piselli Recipe - Italian Pasta with Peas Recipe
- 1 ¾ cups Short Pasta
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- ¾ cup Chopped Onion
- 2 cups Frozen Green Peas
- ¼ tsp Ground Pepper
- 2-3 tbsp Chopped Parsley
- Salt to taste
- Cook pasta in salted boiling water according to the package instructions. Reserve a few ladles of pasta water.
- Drain pasta and set aside.
- Heat olive oil and add chopped onions. Saute them for 4-5 minutes or until they are transparent.
- Add green peas and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add enough salt and pepper powder and give it a mix.
- Add a ladle full of pasta water to the pan. Cover and cook until peas are soft.
- Once done, add chopped parsley and mix well.
- Add the cooked pasta and mix until well combined.
- Add more pasta water if you want a soupy consistency.
- Adjust salt and serve hot with cheese and pepper powder.