Vendakka Thoran is an easy, delicious and simple Kerala style stir-fry or side dish made with okra/ladies fingers, fresh coconut, spices and coconut oil. This thoran recipe is so quick to make and perfect for Onam Sadya. If you are looking for more Onam Sadya Recipes then check the below recipes.
Few More Onam Recipes on the blog:
- Mathanga Thoran
- Vazhakka Thoran
- Mango Sambar
- Banana Chips
- Sharkara Upperi
- Ada Pradhaman
- Homemade Fresh Ada
- Beetroot Pachadi
- Parippu Curry
- Cucumber Pulissery
How to Make Kerala Vendakka Thoran Recipe:
Vendakka Thoran Recipe - Kerala Style Okra Stir Fry Recipe
How to Make Kerala Vendakka Thoran Recipe. Kerala Style Okra Stir Fry with fresh coconut. An easy recipe for Onam Sadya
- 3.5 cups Okra / Ladies Finger sliced
- 1/2 cup Fresh Coconut
- 3 - 4 Green Chillies
- 6 Shallots
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Urad Dal
- 1 Garlic Clove optional
- 2 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 Sprig Curry Leaves
- Salt to taste
- Wash, wipe and slice the okra and set aside.
- Heat coconut oil in a frying pan. Add mustard seeds and urad dal and let them splutter. Add the curry leaves and saute for a few seconds.
- Add 3 chopped shallots to it and fry until transparent.
- Now add the chopped okra and saute for a minute.
- Sprinkle a very little water and cover with a lid. Let it cook on a low – medium flame until pieces are cooked.
- Keep stirring occasionally.
- Grind the remaining shallots, garlic clove, turmeric powder, fresh coconut, green chillies and cumin seeds to a little coarse paste and set aside.
- When the okra pieces are cooked, add the ground coconut mixture to it.
- Add salt and mix everything.
- Fry for 2 – 3 minutes and turn off the flame.
- Serve hot with rice.
Use coconut oil for the authentic flavor and taste.
Calories: 164kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Sodium: 125mg | Potassium: 422mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 645IU | Vitamin C: 37.7mg | Calcium: 86mg | Iron: 1.5mg
You might also like to check these recipes: