Mathanga Thoran is a simple and delicious vegetable side dish from Kerala. This thoran recipe is so quick to make and can be served with rice. If you are looking for more Kerala recipes, check the below recipes.
Few More Kerala Onam Sadya Recipes:
- Vazha Pindi Thoran
- Vellarikka Kichadi
- Vendakka Thoran
- Beetroot Pachadi
- Parippu Curry
- Ada Pradhaman
- Kerala Banana Chips
How to Make Kerala Mathanga Thoran Recipe:
Mathanga Thoran - Pumpkin Thoran Recipe
- 2 - 2.5 cups Pumpkin peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup Fresh Coconut
- 6 - 8 Shallots
- 3 - 4 Green Chillies
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Urad Dal
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 sprig Curry Leaves
- 1 Dried Red Chilli
- 1 tbsp Oil / Coconut Oil
- In a vessel, add the chopped pumpkin, salt, turmeric and water and cook until pieces are tender. Drain and set aside.
- Grind the shallots, cumin seeds and green chillies into a paste and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds and urad dal and let them splutter. Add the curry leaves and broken red chilli and fry for a couple of seconds.
- Then add the ground coconut mixture to it and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add the cooked pumpkin pieces and combine well.
- Adjust the salt and fry for a minute.
- Switch off the flame and serve with rice.