Boodida Gummadikaya Pappu / Ash Gourd Dal Recipe
Hari Chandana PIndianSide dishPrep Time: 5 mins | Cook time: 15 mins | Serves: 4
- 1/2 cup Toor Dal
- 1 and 1/2 cups Ash Gourd, peeled & chopped
- 2 – 3 Green Chillies
- Gooseberry size ball Tamarind
- 1 sprig Curry Leaves
- 1 Dried Red Chilli
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Chana Dal
- 1/2 tsp Urad Dal
- 1/4 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/8 tsp Hing
- 2 tsp Oil
- Salt to taste
- Red Chilli Powder as needed
- Soak the tamarind in water and squeeze the extract out of it.
- Put the rinsed toor dal, as gourd pieces, turmeric, green chillies and 1.5 cups of water in a pressure cooker and cook for 3 – 4 whistles.
- Turn off the flame and wait until the pressure go off.
- Add the salt, red chilli powder and tamarind extract to the cooked toor dal mixture and let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan for seasoning. Add the mustard seeds, chana dal, urad dal and cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Add the curry leaves, red chilli and hing and stir for a couple of seconds.
- Turn off the heat. Add the seasoned ingredients to the dal and mix well.
- Serve hot with rice or roti.
You might also like to check these Recipes: