A super healthy and simple side dish for hot steamed rice or roti.
What is Ash Gourd Dal?
Dal is an Indian lentil based side dish typically made using a wide variety of lentils, vegetables, greens and spices. There are many traditional Indian dal recipes and this one is a South Indian style of making a dal or pappu.
Is this dal vegan?
The answer is YES!
Toor Dal: Toor dal is split pigeon pea lentil. You can replace them with red lentils or masoor dal.
Tamarind: In Andhra, we use tamarind in most of the lentil-based dishes. You can replace it with lemon juice. You will need to add lemon juice after turning off the flame.
You can have it with plain steamed rice, roti, naan or any Indian flatbread.
If you are looking for more similar recipes then do check the below recipes.
Few More Indian Dal Recipes on the blog:
- Gujarati Dal
- Dosakaya Pappu
- Moong Dal Tadka
- Gongura Pappu
- Sabut Masoor Dal
- Menthi Kura Pappu
- Tomato Pappu
How to Make Boodida Gummadikaya Pappu Recipe below:
Boodida Gummadikaya Pappu Recipe
- ½ cup Toor Dal
- 1 ½ cups Ash Gourd peeled & chopped
- 2-3 Green Chillies
- Gooseberry size ball Tamarind
- 1 sprig Curry Leaves
- 1 Dried Red Chilli
- ½ tsp Mustard Seeds
- ½ tsp Chana Dal
- ½ tsp Urad Dal
- ¼ tsp Cumin Seeds
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
- ⅛ tsp Hing
- 2 tsp Oil
- Salt to taste
- Red Chilli Powder as needed
- Soak the tamarind in water and squeeze the extract out of it.
- Put the rinsed toor dal, as gourd pieces, turmeric, green chillies and 1.5 cups of water in a pressure cooker and cook for 3 – 4 whistles.
- Turn off the flame and wait until the pressure goes off.
- Add the salt, red chilli powder and tamarind extract to the cooked toor dal mixture and let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan for seasoning. Add the mustard seeds, chana dal, urad dal and cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- Add the curry leaves, red chilli and hing and stir for a couple of seconds.
- Turn off the heat. Add the seasoned ingredients to the dal and mix well.
- Serve hot with rice or roti.
Nutrition values are estimates only.