What is Poosanikai Jaggery Halwa?
Poosanikai Halwa is a South Indian sweet dish prepared with ash gourd or white pumpkin. The halwa is also known as Kasi Halwa or Boodida Gummadikaya Halwa. Traditionally, it is made with sugar but I have replaced it with jaggery to make it healthier. It doesn’t require many ingredients unlike other dessert recipes, you just need 5 ingredients to make this delicious halwa.
More Halwa Recipes like this:
Tips to make the best kasi halwa:
- Remove the green part of the ash gourd and seeds before you grate it.
- Do not discard the ash gourd water. Measure the water as well.
- Make sure the ash gourd is soft and cooked before adding the jaggery. Otherwise, it will remain uncooked.
- Do not cook the halwa on a high flame.
- Do not skip adding cardamom powder, it will give the wonderful flavor to the sweet.
It can be stored at room temperature for a day. If you want to store it for a longer time, store it in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Serve hot, warm or cold as a dessert.
Few More Indian Sweet Recipes on the blog:
How to Make Kasi Halwa with Jaggery Recipe below:
Kasi Halwa Recipe with Jaggery
- 3 cups Ash Gourd grated
- 1.5 cups Jaggery powdered
- 4 tbsp Ghee
- 1/4 tsp Cardamom Powder
- 10 Cashews
- Wash, peel and grate the ash gourd and measure it. Don’t discard the juice measure.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of ghee in a pan and fry the cashews until light brown color. Take them out of the ghee and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the grated ash gourd and fry until the raw smell disappears.
- Reduce the flame.
- Cover the pan with a lid and let it cook until soft, glossy and transparent.
- Once it is cooked, add the powdered jaggery and mix.
- Keep stirring till it forms together as a mass and leaving the sides of the pan.
- Add remaining ghee, cardamom powder and roasted cashews to the cooked halwa and combine well.
- Cook for a minute and turn off the flame.